ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I went to my friends gated strip mine at 6 a.m. and landed crappie I have always wanted,,,,,NICE size. By noon we couldn't resist the itch to go to heidecki. I told him about the keeper walleye from the other day and he promised to stay in 1 spot and not ask to move. He likes to cast for bass and muskie, he's not the type to sit and wait. With the slight wind and the overcast I had a plan 8:) so we headed off. We stopped at the bait shop just over the tracks (great people) and bought worms and shad. We still had minnows from our crappie fishing but really didnt think we would use them. with the minnow bucket added to our usual arsenal there was no way we were walking to our normal spot. I wanted the northeast part of the bridge and it was open. The wind was gone now so my plan seemed to be busted. I figured that if there was some water hitting the rocks (but not at 30mph like the other day) and an overcast sky the walleye would move close to shore and maybe the muskies and stipers may follow. We sat there for hours without a single hit but saw a nice fish caught on the other end wich turned out to be a 20 inch walleye. I swithed to a slip bobber now since there was no wind and then the waind started hahaha. So my bobber was within ten feet of shore in just a couple minutes but that was what I wanted at first so I stuck with it. After a few dissapearing bobbers and no fish I brought my minnow into sight to see if maybe he was darting down and pulling it under. My bobber shot down and came right back up,,,,my son said he saw a flash so I pulled on it to see and FISH ON. This fish fought so hard I thought I had a big bass but it turned out to be a walleye just over 20 inches. He begged me to keep it but I threw it back. He was steamin' the rest off the day he wouldn't stop bothering me about wanting to eat it so I frigured I would find him one and fillet it for him. We had another one just 5 feet from shore and it broke off within a few seconds and the end off the line was frayed and it was a heavy fish so I knew the big walleye were coming in. after another break off for each of us I made a leader with the line on my spool I was using for shark on our winter break to florida but no more action. I decided to take a walk and try some casting around the steps but nothing. When I got back my leader was gone and Vincent said he had another one right at shore with a minnow but it broke him off again. I told him I was in too much pain too stay any longer and he whinned again about throwing his dinner back as I was packing up. As I walked back from the garbage I saw him get hooked up and the rod bent all the way to the water and as he went to release some drag it snapped and he flipped out. He turned to me and said he had a musky. Now,, my son has landed more musky than me and is highly skilled at fishing but also at minipulation. I didnt know if he was trying to stay lomger with a fish tale or if he really had one. He said, dad when I saw the walleye take your minnow I saw the minnow then a head,body and tail. This time I saw a head then a body and a body and still more body then the tail. I laughed pretty hard but either way there were some big fish back on shore so I decided to give him 30 minutes. I put my 30-40 lb power pro spool and tossed it a few feet out with a walker and a floating jig head with the minnow on. I opened the bail and started to set up another rod and saw my line going out. I let him get the line tight then I set the hook and all hell broke loose! The fish went to the right then out and then back towards me. This fish was so heavy so i loosened the drag just a bit and before you know it I was running down the rocks following his run. Wouldn't ya know it he went towards the bridge and luckily stayed close to shore and went under the bridge. I somehow ran and ducked at full speed trying to keep up with what I now knew was a musky. I came tumbling out the other side of the bridge and he was out into the open water. I kept the line tight but didnt horse him. I would get him to shore and he would take of again. He then jumped and I dont mean broke the surface for a head shake he came out of the water completly and I (along with some onlookers) yelled WOAH. I have never seen a Musky with such color. I wanted to get him in so not to put too much stress on him but when I got him to shore he darted out again and did another jump. He now had me all the way to the turn on the south side of the dike and seemed to be heading towards the natural shore line all the while I am speed walking with the squirting sounds of me stepping on the bloated carp/cats along the shore. I got him right to the rocks and the line snapped. What a beautiful fish. I have never caught a musky with such color and overall appearance. I estimate the fish was between 40 and 42 inches but everyone else said mid 40's easy :-? . The musky was barred (vertical lines) and had an orange tail. Tiger Musky obviously. I put so much stress on that poor fish but he just couldnt be landed and even with 60lb test it was only a matter of time before he cut off with the way he fought. I have landed plenty of 30 and 40 inch but I have never had one fight like this. Maybe he was bigger like some said or maybe it was because it was a shore fight but I think he was the one breaking us off. So if anyone catches one with a chrome colored hook with a big eye or a blue and white floating jighead let me know the details. "Always out" seems to catch them all the time so I hope he reads this cause' he's sure to get him ;) I think I can locate these fish when the conditions are right from shore but with all the pins rods and screws in my body I cant handle walking and casting along the rocks,,,,,,maybe a few valium and percocet will do the trick hahaha.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Wow. There's an outing you and your son wont soon forget! Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully you will get another chance at the big one. :-D

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
What a tale you just spun...I almost felt like I was there with ya :)2 .

After having and witnessing experiences such as yours, I now use powerpro exclusively at Heidecke. I have not been broke off in a few years now.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Power pro

Fonzie said:
What a tale you just spun...I almost felt like I was there with ya :)2 .

After having and witnessing experiences such as yours, I now use powerpro exclusively at Heidecke. I have not been broke off in a few years now.
Fonzie: You got that right. The only time I use mono is when I am playing around with blugills and crappies.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have had some great fish off those points some made it in and some did'nt, the one sticks out in my mind, never saw it I still believe it was a sub I snagged driving through the bridge!!!!!!!!! striat out to open never got a turn on it ran the spool down before I stopped the spool with my thumb and the hook pulled out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.