ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I live in Shorewood - not too far from I-55 and Rte. 52. Two of my neighbors saw a HEN TURKEY this morning in our sub-division!!! My next door neighbor has a good-sized pond in his backyard and thought it was a heron at first and had to do a double take. He walked towards at and it flew off west of here! He sees them down at Braidwood all the time so he knows what a wild turkey looks like. Then another neighbor confirmed his siting as he too had seen it on the east side of River Road early this morning! Pretty crazy. It's very developed around here and even seeing a pheasant these days in the farmland NEAR Minooka is rare - let alone in the middle of developed Shorewood!!!

I've already left a message with the DNR down at the DPCA. I would imagine they'd be interested in something like this...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fish,
I live and work off Ridge RD(JFD ST 10). The old farm field that bank rupt Neumann homes was building in on the S side had days of 100+ pheasants in it this spring.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JBill - when you taking me hunting??? LOL!

Ed - Yeah, I know it's not like a Cougar siting, but certainly a rarity around here. I was just kind've keeping with the Cougar/odd siting theme...

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I saw atleast 20 around lake herrick every morning when I was working out there. I had to do a double take and turn around to see it again. there 3 males all standing proud and a bunch of hens feeding in the grass in front yard of someones house. very cool to see

·
Registered
124 Posts
Friend of mine, Long time hunter of birds, while on his way to Seneca Hunt club Thursday Morning to train his dog and help me with mine, saw 3 Turkeys at 248th and Wolf Crossing in Naperville.

I now Know why there is a home that has turkey decoys set up in the yard on 111th just west of Rt 30.

Me

G

·
I've seen a few out this way too. Drove past a hen that was running along side the road on Orchard just North of Rt. 30. Also, my Mother in law sent me camera phone pictures of a whole mess of hens and a couple toms that occupied the road in a section of Winding Creek subdivision in Naperville. Near 87th and Modaff.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Saw a couple of hens crossing Naperville Rd at Green Trails Rd in Naperville last week. Had a Red Fox on my deck last year. This place is a zoo.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
fishnmagician said:
This place is a zoo.
Next it's lions and tigers and bears oh my...
A cougars is by far the coolest but since CLF started added things or at least seen more would be beaver (on the fox) herons, egrets, coyotes, red fox, and though I haven't personally seen one yet, otters.
Assorted other waterfowl too.

·
Registered
911 Posts
fishnmagician said:
Saw a couple of hens crossing Naperville Rd at Green Trails Rd in Naperville last week. Had a Red Fox on my deck last year. This place is a zoo.
When we were buying our house last July we were leaving our real estate agents office around 9:00pm one evening in downtown Geneva and when we walked out we saw a fox, calm as could be, trotting past us with a dead female mallard in it's mouth.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We've had Red Foxes here in years past. In fact, had one chasing a rabbit in our back yard, it was pretty cool. But, they haven't come into our backyards here in quite a few years. I did see one along the Dupage River about three blocks from my house last year, but there's too much development now and I think they're done coming in here. Although with a nice Thanksgiving dinner teasing them, who knows???

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Seeing red fox in the daytime is indicative of their numbers.
They prefer to hunt at night but if there a lot of competition they sometimes have to hunt during the day and so we're more likely to see/notice them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We moved out west of Orchard, down 30 6 yrs ago. Was nothing but corn west us us,, used to see deer crossing orchard all the time by animal hospital. Back in 2003 i think, the biggest buck I ever saw was actually walking out of the Lakewood entrance at 4 am ! One morning there was one in back of yard :) . Recently I had spotted an eagle near the new bristol bay school, and when our new house was being built, a fox crossed road a few lots down east of it. That was cool, and I was wondering if they are roaming animals, or has it a home closeby? Soon as kids show me how to work that camcorder maybe I can get a few nice vids. Good fishin............

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, my Mrs. has seen the hen by 30 and orchard a number of times. Today I was trying to get a few pictures of the blue heron in pond out back. I want sure it was one, then my sis said she was almost certain it is. There is a white one as well. Herons or sandhills? Looked like blue heron from google searches. Someday I'll get a picture..... good fishin

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Ed said:
fishnmagician said:
This place is a zoo.
Next it's lions and tigers and bears oh my...
A cougars is by far the coolest but since CLF started added things or at least seen more would be beaver (on the fox) herons, egrets, coyotes, red fox, and though I haven't personally seen one yet, otters.
Assorted other waterfowl too.
I had a mink walk past me on Easter Sunday on the riverbank in South Elgin.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
OK Ed, it's official. I think you need a new forum "Area Wildlife Sightings" were everyone can report their different sightings and interactions with the not so everyday/ordinary critters. Might be neat to see what people are seeing out there and when and where. Just from the Cougar and Turkey threads it seems alot of us are seeing alot of cool wildlife lately. Just thought it might be interesting. Anyone else think this would be good?8:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.