ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the river before work and was surprised by the two hook ups. Both walleyes, one caught and one landed. This walleye was caught on a worm harness tipped with Gulp worm. Season is on!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fished late Friday morning with much success. These guys were a blast in the current.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Very nice :)2

Can't tell what that object is that you're using for reference....any size to them? Top one is especially fat....loaded with eggs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waterguy,
They were all males, no eggs in any one I cleaned this year. The largest was just over 20" and the small one was 15". I have never caught a female eye during the run, only males.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question on the quality of walleyes.
I kept these walleyes for my brother-in-law, he loves walleyes. Are the walleyes safe to eat from the Fox?
Any how, you won't see any more pictures of fish on the cutting board, it will be taken at the river prior to release.

Wrestlinref,
They were caught in Yorkville. It's probably not the best location as far as walleye locations go but it's within minutes fro mthe house. It works for me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't fish that stretch but from everything I've heard its one of the better ones for numbers of walleyes. I could be wrong, but I believe it to be one of the only areas of the river that has been continually stocked in recent years.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
YUMMY! NiceEye's :)2

·
Registered
882 Posts
Taken from IDNR's 2008 status of Illinois walleye and sauger fishery:

FOX RIVER - In 2007, a total of 13 stations were sampled on the mainstem of the Fox
River between the McHenry Dam and the Illinois River. Catch rate of walleye was 4.6
fish per hour of boat electrofishing, compared 5.7 per hour for the period from 2000 to
2005. Although walleye were found throughout the river, higher densities (10- 15 per
hour) were found at McHenry, Geneva and, Sheridan. Most of the fish were between 9
and 14 inches (see graph below), and no fish larger than 19 inches was captured.
Young fish were present, resulting from recent spawning or downstream movement
from the Chain-O-Lakes stocking program. Walleye are also stocked each year
between Yorkville and Wedron (15,000, 2-inch).

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Personaly I don't put much *stock* in the results of these things.
I suppose for them it's a good measure from year to year but for anglers I really don't see a whole lot of value.

The electrodes shock fish that are from nine(6?) feet down up to the surface.
Now it depends on the time of year they do it also.
Shock for walleyes during the summer and where do you think most of them are in pools where there is water deeper than 6-9 feet.
Sure, I believe McHenry has a high population due to the walleyes coming through the locks or over the dam.
Now if you look at the profile of the river going down you'll find deeper sections.
Geneva doesn't have many deeper ones so any walleyes are going to have to be in water that is shallow enough for them to get shocked and sampled hence their walleye population get's stunned and comes to the surface to be counted.
Elgin, for instance, above and below the dam, has areas where their electrodes wouldn't affect the walleyes, they're deeper depending on when the shocking was done.
Also, the big ones, if shallow, aren't there for long.

The same holds true when these come out for smallmouth.
I asked them once and they pretty much agreed on my assesment as far as use for angling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts