ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found a couple hours to hit the river today....The river is still screaming so I bounced around from St charles to South Elgin hitting any structure breaking the current. Tried a few different things and finally started getting hits on a perch pattern realistix minnow. Got about 5 legitimate hits before hooking up.....with a quillback :-?

Heading home I decided last minute to hit one last spot, and it paid off with my first smallie of the year...a beatiful 17 incher:

Another pic of the same fish:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice fish! I'm curious though as to what that lure is your using and how your presenting it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nice way to start off the year, I got this weekend as well will post a report this afternoon.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wmuallstar said:
Nice fish! I'm curious though as to what that lure is your using and how your presenting it.
I was using a 3 inch Berkley realistix minnow in perch pattern on a 1/8 oz. jig. Baits like these (soft plastic minnowbaits) have worked great for me in spring in the past. Storm finesse minnows and Zoom flukes work great as well. Here is a pic of the realistix minnow rigged:

Basically just bouncing it off bottom off of anything breaking the current. That fish hit right after my jig bounced off a slab of concrete in the water. They are going to be tight to structure right now.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Those baits are great and they do look very realistic. I haven't seen the perch before, I'll need to keep my eye out for some and give them a try.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, that looks like a great presentation, especially in current.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts