ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here. While I am new to the West/South suburbs, I've been fishing all my life in the NW suburbs and all over WI. With a day off work I thought I'd try some afternoon fishing on the DuPer.

First things first, I was very impressed with the easiness of buying a fishing license online for the state of IL, and the afforability of it as well.

With no prior knowledge of hot holes or good parking spots, etc along the river, I assumed heading to a local forest preserve would be ideal.

I went to McDowell Grove forest preserve in Naperville/Warrenville and proceeded to work the western shorelines around the parking lots and down the bank towards McDowell Dam downstream.

I was using a 5" tiki-stick style plastic salted worm in a watermelon shade, and some purple berkley powerbaits, all unweighted with a very slow twitching presentation. While I have little river fishing experience, I found some deeper holes, eddys, and calm water where I assumed the fish would be hiding.

After a whole lot of nothing, I took the hike towards Mud Lake. Somehow, I managed to stumble upon Fawell Dam, where I walked up on what I thought were a couple of smallies sitting in the shallow muddy shoreline. Of course I spooked them away and didnt see any action the rest of the day. I tossed for about another hour and a half on the shorelines about a half mile south of Fawell Dam, but with no hits, trails, or fish sightings.

At this point I gave up on finding Mud Lake, as I had no idea where to go and the trails are not marked at all. At about 3pm I called it quits and headed back to the car.

While I know these are not prime fishing hours or temps, I thought I'd at least land a few small SMB or LMB...especially seeing the luck some have had in the past week in similar sun and water temp conditions on this forum.

Is there anything I am missing, or anything more I can do to find these fish? Are there any areas people could recommend in the Naperville/Lisle area that I'm not finding on this forum? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, fellas.

Cheers. :)2 :)2

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dont' give up on that river yet, I did well last year once things warmed up. I think the fish are probably still stacked in a few primo spots until the water warms further (I bet if you stuck your hand in, it was freezing), and the folks that have had some luck are experienced Dupage fishermen.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dont' give up on that river yet, I did well last year once things warmed up. I think the fish are probably still stacked in a few primo spots until the water warms further (I bet if you stuck your hand in, it was freezing), and the folks that have had some luck are experienced Dupage fishermen.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome St.CroixBoix,

Since you live in Naperville you will want to check out the Fox. Are you new to the area? If you are, then go up 59 and take Butterfield to the Fox River.

Some great fishing there.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome St.CroixBoix,
Don't give up on the Duper or McDowell Grove. The weather has not been in our favor lately and it really has to warm up a little before fishing picks up. There are good numbers of SM in the 15" to 18" range in that stretch. Also, if you want to sit still and try your luck at Channel's you'll find those in the 1# to 4# range on slower days if Bullheads don't pick you off. FYI, in my days on the Duper in general I have found shoreline under cuts more productive than mid river eddy's and smaller baits than the 5" sticks (JMO). It just takes a little more stealth on approach (like trout) and you may find yourself treking where you think know one has been before, but it's worth it. You seem to be doing what it takes by walking stretches and doing a little exploring. The Fox has even more opportunities if you work your way out there and there are plenty of people here to give you the info you may need.
/welcome
Have fun, be safe, catch fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts