ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm living in Lincoln Square in the city. I don't have a garage, backyard, workspace that I can set aside for a cleaning station. I never cleaned fish inside growing up so I was curious. 1. Is there fish cleaning stations at the Chicago / Waugeeeeegan harbors and piers? Tackle shops? and 2. If there's no fish cleaning stations what are the tips and tricks to getting around a stinking filthy kitchen?

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I've had to clean fish at home, I just use a section of the newspaper unfolded so that when I'm done I can pile everything in the middle, close the newspaper, pull the corners close and drop it right into a garbage bag, then I double bag it making sure each bag is tied as airtight as possible.

I did it at a table with a tiled floor under it with no seams. If you have hardwood with gaps, carpet, or real grout tile I'd be very careful about dropping any kind of liquid on it as it will soak into/get under those.

Overall I just made sure that any part of the fish I was getting rid of I got in the newspaper and in the garbage bag. I didn't put any part of it down the drain, I didnt want it to get stuck/coat the pipe and cause a stinkfest.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Waukegan has a cleaning station.

I usually clean fish on a board on the tailgate of my truck. Then I do the double bag trick and toss in the garbage can. You can also put the guts in the freezer if you aren't very close to garbage day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my biggest concern is making a mess scaling. But for the most part I cook with steak's and 4 or 5oz fillet pieces. Anyone out there bake, broil and grill with the scales on? Any downsides? If this is more appropriate for the cooking threads could the MOD's out there move it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Make a "scaling pocket" out of newspaper. Take multiple 2 page sheets, fold them in half like they would be when the papers assembled, then fold about an inch or more on each side, staple or tape those folds. Then you'll have basically a pocket, slide fish in, proceed to scale. It will be much slower than scaling it in the open I'm sure, but it should hold down any fliers.

Never tried this myself, but is seems like it would work out ok :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aekhoff said:
Waukegan has a cleaning station.

I usually clean fish on a board on the tailgate of my truck. Then I do the double bag trick and toss in the garbage can. You can also put the guts in the freezer if you aren't very close to garbage day.
That's a good idea. I have a fold down gate on my SUV if I used a garbage bag and newspapers to cover the gate I'd probley be good to go.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I quit scaling decades ago. I either:
a) slip the filet knife between the flesh and the skin (with scales on) for a skinless fillet - this is my std
or
b) just leave the scales on (e.g., fried panfish, maybe too small for above method) and flake the cooked flesh away from the skin (now crisp with scales attached)

scaling is an unnecessary chore IMHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts