ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! After you guys catch all your carp how do you dispose of them if you don't eat them all? I just wondered since I plan to get alot of carp and some gar this year. Also, I just bought a boat today. An older 14' V-Hull. I got it for a good price so I think I can make it work and turn it into a decent bowfishing boat.

Thanks,

Lowell H.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Hey Lowell! Welcome to the site!!
Well, getting rid of alot of fish can be a problem. Personally, I try not to get carried away and not shoot too many when they are thick. Ill take a few and then go looking for a trophy. I have alot less to worry about then. But alot of people eat some of the fish species, some use quite a bit as fertilizer, alot of other fishermen will take some off your hands. Whatever one does with their fish is up to them as long as its legal. What waters do you bowfish?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fish on Lake Shelbyville. Any others out there that fish in Lake Shelbyville also? I am lucky enough to be a couple miles from a very good spot. Dad and I saw probably thousands last spring during spawning season while we were in the canoe. I figured the hardest part would be figuring out what to do with the fish after I shoot them.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
We are going to be there for a couple shoots this year including our BAI N meets South shoot. A few guys here bowfish there quite a bit too. Might also want to chech with farmers to see if they would like you to add them to their compost piles. A few guys do that also with their fish.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought you had a shoot on Lake Shelbyville but wasn't sure. Maybe I can get in touch with some guys around here to see what they do. We farm here and I don't know of any farmers that have compost piles. Never know though. I am gonna have to see what I can do. Find something to do with them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Lowell where do you go on the lake? I have fished around lithia springs off of rt 16. The coves on the east side are excellent during the spawn. I have hiked into some good areas around those parts. I am planning on going down in a few weeks after I get some personal stuff takin care of.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Last year I buried the carp in the garden for fertilizer. I can't say it was a real success, my dad told me I should compost them first. So this year I have a compost pile and am going to compost them, then put the compost on the garden.

Don't compost the gar, the fillets are great eating.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went alot at Cornbread Bottom. That is only a couple mile from where I live. But I have also went around Eagle Creek area before. Found some carp there and my buddy said he has seen gar there before. Didn't see any gar the day we had our bows though. Maybe we could get together sometime and do some bowfishing. I know during spawning season I see tons! I can't wait to get out there and do some shootin!

Thats an idea Strelnikov. I have heard of people doing that before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts