ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing the Kish for only about 5 years now and I have noticed that my catches have been steadily decreasing. (I also fish a little less too because I have kids) However, somebody in a previous post said there was a fish kill a few years ago, can someone elaborate.

Also, with regard to Pike- I have caught some of the biggest and fattest pike of my life west of Belvidere all the way to where the kish meets the Rock. I miss those. People please practice catch and release. Please email me and maybe we can share spots...

·
Registered
118 Posts
The fish kill on the Kish that I refered to was on the south branch about 10 years ago. The polution came from a pig farm between Sycamore and Genoa. It killed pretty much every fish from Sycamore to Rockford. The north branch(Belvideer) was uneffected. The Shabbona sportsmans club did restock smallmouth, pike, crappie, bluegill, and some walleye back into the Kish. It can take a while for a fishery to bounce back. I think the smallmouth bounced back well in the south branch, but the pike must take more time.

G

·
<font color="#00FF00">Cliff, About 10 years ago a commercial pig farm inadvertantly polluted the south branch near Kirkland. Total fish kill on many species was the ruling,smallies walleye, pike and so on. The farmer was fined a stupidly low amount. The next couple of years after the kill the Shabbona sportsmens club restocked those 3 species. Now ive been fishing both branches for the last 7 years and i have caught many nice smallies in all different year classes my biggest coming from south branch at 20+ " last spring. The pike are making a slow but good comeback,i have heard of many accounts from people catching more and more every year. The biggest i have almost caught was at least 32" but bit me off ten feet from me. That pike was on the north branch last summer. The walleyes which the sportsmens club stocked more of them than any other of the species,arent doing so well. But then again my buddies caught 6 at 20"s from one tree laydown 2 years ago,if in fact any of these big fish were from the stocking ten years ago who knows? What i have heard is the Kish isnt the same it was 15 to 20 years ago,i guess fishing back then was excellent. The big question is what are we as fishermen doing about it. Well to answer that question i and a few other guys have brought the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance to Rockford. You will see all my posts on this b-board. Im working with the president of the club and outdoor writer Jay Angel on a smallie stocking program for both the Rock and the Kish. Our club is holding cleanups a few times a year also. We have also gotten the forest preserves to post signs at all entrances to the parks regarding smallie growth rates and CPR techniques. If you would like to know more come to one of our outings this summer or email me at [email protected] </font>

G

·
<font color="#00FF00">Sorry Cliff forgot to fill in my name before posting. Our clubs outings are on this b-board under north Illinois smallmouth outings posted by me Kevin Dells. If you do make it to an outing,we share a lot of good info and we expect as many as 20 guys at each event. Hope to see you there Kevin </font> :)23

1 - 5 of 5 Posts