ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share to those who gave me helpful info a while back. I opted to go small for now and picked up 55g tank and stained pine stand on ebay for only $80. I added on new Penguin 350 dual biowheel and AC30 HOB filters. Some natural gravel substrate, and took a trip to my local quarry and picked up a nice pile of mixed stone for creating an underwater rock reef. I ran the tank for 3 weeks and did a lot of research on the entire ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle. I've had the tank operating with live African Cichlids for 3 weeks. So far all is well. I have 9 fish total, all in the 3" range. I've got a couple different Peacocks, including an electric blue, also two red (orange) zebras which haven't been too much trouble, one nice looking male Acei. So far, so good. Those who encouraged me to be patient and not pull the trigger on the first large tank I saw on ebay---many thanks. Was the right decision for now.

[/img]

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Congrats on the new tank man! Real nice rockwork! African cichlids are great. I got 5 tanks of em and I am setting up a 210 this weekend. The key to Africans and keeping aggression in check is NUMBERS. Crowd em in there. Feel free to pm me with any questions at all.

Also go to GCCA.net That's the Greater Chicagoland Cichlid Association. I am in the club and there is some real knowledge on that site. Also, there is a fish swap coming soon. Don't pay retail!!!!! 8:)

PS: Only thing I would do is lose the bio-wheel and replace it with an AC110. Awesome filter.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I'm not real impressed with the biowheel. just a lot of noise if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
you can jam quite a few cichlids in a 55 - I have 19 in my 55 now. Plus with so many fish any fights break up pretyt qucikly since its hard to find that guy amonth the 17 other ones that look just like him

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
The Little King said:
you can jam quite a few cichlids in a 55 - I have 19 in my 55 now. Plus with so many fish any fights break up pretyt qucikly since its hard to find that guy amonth the 17 other ones that look just like him
Are those the ones that are in your tank with all the paving bricks LK?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm planning to put several more in there. Just wanted to get the tank settled in. Biggest challenge is deciding how many and what species. I want to avoid getting 2 males of the same species or like coloring. I have a lot of rock in there, so even though it's a 55g, there's probably only 45g of water. I will need to bump up my filtration gph when the fish load increases. I love Africans, but it's definately higher maintenance than some tetras/danios in a 10g. I tried keepin the mbunas to a minumum (why I went mostly with peacocks) and there is still a decent amount of 'attitude' being shown in the tank by a couple males.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
No that is a 90g comm tank with mbuna's but there are only 32 in there. I have some blue labs growing out now that should finish up the 90g.

Getting the right balnce of males and sp can be quite a trick. I have 2 afra's that are not coloring up in my 90. Then on the other side I got some peacoks in a 37 and have a few males of each type starting to show color

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Congrats on the tank Crazy Joe. Really nice set up. Cichlids are awesome.

Neil

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
You know this topic seems to come up enough, and enough member here have aquariums that we might could use a forum dedicated to aquariums... any thoughts?

I'm a real amateur regarding tanks, but I've learned alot from guys here and sooner or later, my 29 gal. is going to be replaced with something much bigger. Having a fourum to discuss would be good for me....

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I just got thru bringing my 210 into the basement.

I'm going to go and die now!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
agreed LK. Some of the sites the guys tuned me onto (like GCCA for Chicagoland Cichlids, and others) are so loaded with info, I spent weekends just scrolling through them. I went from a novice to expert on Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate, cycling a new tank (with fish or 'fishless'), etc. There is almost too much info out there. I think the general discussion forum is good for us now. If more tank hobbyists come out of the woodwork, then maybe there is a need for a separate board here, just to pass info and brag among friends.

Sawboy....how did you get the 210g into the basement? That's gotta be like moving a grand piano made of glass. What's the theme of the 210g going to be?

Been trying to find a couple electric yellow labs for the tank. The fish I have are around the 3" mark, but all the yellows I see at the chain LFS are small and might have some trouble holding there own in the tank. If anyone knows of some stores in the NW/West burbs that carry a good supply of Africans, I'd love to know (I can't make the GCCA swap meet in April because of a weekend biz trip). So far, the local petsmart/petco stores have an overabundance of the fish I'm avoiding (bumblebees, auratus, Kenyis, and over-territorial zebras.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tubes77 said:
my 29 gal. is going to be replaced with something much bigger.
Like anything else we do.....GO BIG now, or you'll regret it later!!!!.... Sounds like Sawboys got the real deal....If and when i get fired up again over here it won't be under a 200 gallon...And sorry guys they won't be cichlids..( Been there,Done that)....Nope I'm going back to ..Bass,Perch,Gill's, Bullhead and I've read you can purchase muskies from pet shops now :eek: ...Throw those in a 200 and watch how big they get......Not to jump off subject, but has anyone gone to the Peotone Fairgrounds for their animal swap meet, I didn't go last year, But the year before one barn had any size tank you wanted. there the first Sunday of every month Starting in April, Bring the kids because you won't believe what you'll find there.........And if your wondering....Yes, the Sheep come with a 10 x 10 area of tall blades of grass....(that's a joke)

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Crazy Joe, a piano would have been EASIER to move. And we moved it when it was snowing :eek: . The tank is stocked with 23 Burundi Frontosa. The biggest is 6.5", with the majority around 4.5" - 5" and a couple small guys about 3" - 3.5". There is also one bristlenose plecostomus and a wild caught Synodontis Angelicus about 3". Eventually, I will whittle the front colony down to 10 - 13 fish. I'm thinking 2 or 3 males and 8 - 10 females. That number could go down based on size of fish though.

As far as yellow labs go...........I am having a population explosion of them here. I have THREE females holding in my 125, 7 fry in a growout, and about 12 or 15 about an inch in a different growout tank. Come to the swap on the 13th, and I will point you out to a real good vendor for some labs. Or wait a few weeks. If I get lucky enough to catch the females, I will give you some fry to grow out. Of course, that means a second tank ;)

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
I have some yellow lab'ish fish that are 2.5 - 3" 2 look like hybrids with red zebras, and the other is part lab and something else blue with strips - price free

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sawboy,

Are those convicts? Cool fish. Thanks for sharing.

Neil

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
nodlikescod said:
Sawboy,

Are those convicts? Cool fish. Thanks for sharing.

Neil
Convicts? Nope. They're cool but I wouldn't waste 7' of space on them.

Those are Burundi Frontosa. King of the African Cichlids :)2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts