ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda gettin the itch to fish. Got the boat out, all cleaned up, gassed up, batteries charged up.

Tackle boxes are sorted, chicken livers and wax worms bought. Life jackets on board, batteries all strapped down and terminals covered, (thanks to whoever made that post a few days ago. I'd have gone to WI and probably gotten a ticket or two for that one), and the fire extinguisher is "green".

Just need a push to go.

Anybody interested? Free ride, like I said it's all ready.

Going to Pool 4 at Alma in a coupla weeks and need to check everything out.

I'll check back on here until about 1 AM. Think the wife wants to go to Cadillac Ranch dancin' tonight, so I'll be out a little late.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
dang, I have to be at church tomorrow, otherwise I would have been all over it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went last week, so I'm good for a coupla more weeks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Battery ?

dncncwboy56, A question on batteries.
Couldn't find the post you referred to & was wondering if thats just Wi. or in Il. as well?
I assumed from your post that batteries must be tied down & the posts covered.
Reason I ask is that I have an old jon boat that I put down plywood flooring with carpeting & I built a storage unit behind the center seat. It's fully enclosed and made with plywood & has cutouts in the floor on each side that the batteries sit down into with the center used as storage, but the batteries are technically not secured & the posts aren't covered aside from the wooded lid on the unit.

Seeing as how THUNDER is a former Coast Guard Acadamy grad. & is now out of the CG...He'd NEVER let me live it down if I got a ticket for a boat saftey violation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boat Batteries

I understand what you are saying about your battery being enclosed in wood and having a "nest" for it to sit in.

BUT, the technical, not the logical, rules are the ones the DNR of both states go by.

All my batteries were strapped down, but the posts weren't covered so rather than give the DNR an opening to give me a ticket, I got boxes, lids, tie down straps and installed them so as to take away any openings they may have to ticket me. One ticket could cost you $100.00, stop you from fishing until you corrected the problem, and you'd STILL have to fix the problem (buy the boxes and straps). And the aggravation of watching them write up the ticket!!!

Remember your fire extinguisher, horn, life jackets, have current numbers on the boat, etc.

The last time I fished Wisconsin, my friend got two tickets when we pulled in to the dock to take the boat out. It was dusk, he left the boat running without turning on his anchor/running lights, and he had left his pole leaning on the gunwale (side) of the boat with a plain head jig hanging over the water and about three feet above the water.

DNR guy gives him a ticket for having a running boat in the water at night without his running lights on and for leaving an unattended pole where a fish could hook itself!! Two very absurd tickets that cost him $90.00 each.

Illinois can be just as bad, so have all your i's dotted and your t's crossed. Don't give them an opening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts