ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started fishing in the DPR and have been seeing monsterous northern surfacing and eating fish of surface all around the boat where we go... We tried all different types of rapalas and othere misc lures and we can't catch one... Does anyone know what would be the best way for catching them??? By the way, we get in at Big Basin...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well alot of people have different ways to catch them, my best two presentations are live roach under a float. My best days are when I use a Rat_L_trap.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You sure these fish are pike?
Maybe gar?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya there pike I've seen the up very close... What color and what size Rat-L-Trap?

·
Registered
356 Posts
CSnake420 said:
Ya there pike I've seen the up very close... What color and what size Rat-L-Trap?
As for size I would recommend 1/2 to 3/4 oz rattlin rapalas in either shad or crawfish patterns. If the water is really murky firetiger is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Catch what they are eating, clip a fin put it on a hook.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm assuming he's saying that to injure the fish thus making it more appealing to the pike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
mepps inline spinners

Im alot further north than you but I would try a number 3-4(or bigger) Mepps in line spinner. I caught 2 last year with these. I used white with a red tail thing thru it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
this is like a question i had the day I lost 17 lures

utstandg, if not trophoy time soon.niOne day I had 17 huge lure swallowing pike cut my line like it was 2# (2 pound test line) test line. I casted huge 7 inch thunderstickes, the biggest Rapalas made, smithwick ("Schmidick" as Irish people might pronouce them) rogues, and giant jigs and twister to 11" (11 inches), in length. You sound like you had a day on the Des Plaines River that you had everything almost bit off completly. I envy you. Don't take it personally. I caught big catchnrelease DPR (Des Plaines River=DPR) pike to almost 30 inches. But, you seem like you ran into the 30" plus pikers. They are the pitbulls of this river. I hope you don't get a nervous breakdown over them. The are huge. They are monsters. They WILL swallow huge-butt ("butt" for a word not probably allowed on this web sight) lures. There ar huge butt pike in the Desplaines River. You might've broken most of them off, but I wish I was there. The water has to be warm enough, and you seem to have found where they were hitting. They might've bit you off. Listen: I beleive the next Illinois State Record Northern Pike IS IN the DPR. Don't tell anyone I said this. You have to try to out-manuver those beasts. Even if you lost every pike, you had a great day of experiencing fish of any one's life time. I wish I was there. Though, I might have not landed those monsters either. Great report. What ticks me off is, I worked on my car's brakes, and didn't go fishing today. The best day to go fishing is the DPR you can go. Great report. Your report shows me that things will be really popping, active, awesome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've run into mammoth gar down there but never any large Pike. I've yet to catch a Northern in Illinois over 30". I wouls suggest any j-9 to J-11 rapala's, with jusst a swivel and start from there. I've landed several Pike in the 40's in Colorado. I have caught a 15 LB Drum close by in the Kank, thought it was a freight train. ha-ha .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't realize that there were pike in the DPR until late last year. Once I found them I caught 3 or 4 on all different types of spinner baits.

A good tip is to use a trailer hook with your spinner baits. Last year I got a bunch of hit/break offs/and bite offs. after I learned my lessons I was able to catch those few.

use a steal leader, spinnerbait and trailer hook.

·
Registered
62 Posts
From Rt 60 bridge North to waldsworth I have caught a lot of pike. I am usley bass fishing when I catch them so tubes, jigs. Sometimes I give up on the bass and just have fun with the pike, I caught 3 over 30" this year on 4 inch swim baits in a pearch color (I think they were storm).
Good luck
Don't for get your steel leaders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts