ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the advice of my 7 yr old guide; Went back out with the wife and him; fished a back channel off Fox lake we had some succes in last Sun (See 4/20 report). Water is still a little high but going down. Should lift no wake soon. Got out about 5:00 and fished to 8:30. Picked up a nice mini-slam. About 10 Crappie all nice size, 3 Walleye 14"-16"; lost a couple larger (stinger hook might have helped here), 2 nice largemouth 14" & 15", a couple drum, and a couple cats one of which went about 6 lbs. (This was one we caught Sun night also). Action was hot initially and went dead about 7:30 or 8:00. The wife and mini-me were using med fatheads on a plain hook. Last Sunday we were using small fatheads and had slightly more action but fish were smaller. I was using a small char / orange ice jig with a minnow near the bottom. Not sure how long this pattern will hold up as these areas are normally only a couple feet deep.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Good report...
I like the "On the advice of my 7 yr old guide" and mini-me parts.
:p

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have to formally go on record as this being my son's "pattern". After running the trolling motor all day last sunday fishing my "proven past patterns" (and striking out); he wanted to go way into the shallow areas. I knew he just wanted to go see the turtles, cranes, pelicans, and other cool critters. His story; "I knew they were in there". Anyway; this just goes to show in my many years on the Chain- Expect the unexpected. It does not always make sense. I've fished those same areas a hundred times under exact conditions. Nothing but mini bluegills.

·
Registered
18 Posts
monday was out at on chain with john aka getdanet1 and pounded the gills on bobber and orange ice rocker jig 2 ft down and biggest gill was 9 and a quarter. two keeper crappies that met the livewell also..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts