ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bunch of these, but never really use them. do u use a slip bobber with them or just a jig head! do u bounce them of the bottem . if any one can help me i would greatly appr it thanks the pond hunter

·
Registered
540 Posts
I prefer the jig, but have done both. Use them the same as any other trailer, like a twister tail or tube. When I ran out of leaches in Canada once they were a great substitute at that time on a jig.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I mostly use them on a jig too but I have used them on a plain hook with a split shot.
In ponds I've had success just holding the rod out and letting them down in holes in lily pads.

G

·
Ed's got a great point. I have had success fly-lining them on a #6 mosquito (Octopus) hook, keeping them near the surface like a topwater bait. It really looks like a bug that fell off a tree, Bass and panfish can't resist them. Trick to casting them is using a really long (9 to 10 foot) noodle rod and 2 to 4 lb. test line. on a spinning reel.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Where can I get some of these. I looked at Bass Pro Shops the other day, but didn't find them, maybe they had too much too choose from. Any help on best brand and location to track down would be great.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Thanks, I just ordered some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion

After getting skunked fishing the Fox last Sunday, I was looking for ideas for different lures. After reading about your hellgramite success, I tied up a few hellgramite flies to throw into the river on my next visit. Hope they work.
Mel

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I usually use them on a jig and bounce them as well, but I've had some luck Carolina rigging them, fishing them on a jig or plain hook under a bobber, and I've even put them on a plain hook and casted them with the flyrod. (Sorry fly fishing purists).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts