ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed south to Florida last week about an hour south of Tampa to Oprey. I ditched the winter coat and boots for bare feet and bass rods. We hiked, paddled and of course most importantly fished. Here's some of the photos of the bass and critters we saw. I will do a couple different pages hopefully they'll load quickly for you guys.

We paddled these mangrove caves that are full of wildlife, many species of small fish, Jelly fish, Star fish, Corals, crabs, too many bird species to list. I didn't fish that area (even though it killed me not to) because two nights of 35 degree temps shut down the fishing and I didn't feel like dropping the $$ on a license for two hours of salt water fishing.

The entrance to the "caves"

Section of one of the caves the water in most sections is like gin, with current running in and out with the tides.

Night Heron most birds were just begining to get into mating plumage.

Gopher tortoise is a endangered species but I saw two while I was there. This is a little guy about the size of a basketball but they get up to 70-80 pounds.

Green Heron not the best pic for being 4 feet away.

Awesome paddle, I wished the caves were longer.

AND Here's a couple nice bass because this is a fishing site after all.

I'll post the other days when I have time.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crap I'll fix these in a hour have to go check on my red beans and rice! YUM! :)2

Okay the beans are looking and smelling Awesome!

Does anyone know how to rotate Photos on Snapfish?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Very cool :)2

I'm hoping to be in the Tampa area sometime next winter (couldn't do it this year :x ) Might have to check that out!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those "caves" were very cool! Of course my waterproof camera battery died just before we got there. I was ticked because I really wanted some underwater shots of the coral and Jellyfish. Next year we're planning on hooking up with a marine biologist for a paddle through the mangroves.

Fish E these caves are just south of Lido key. Closer to Tampa you have little Manatee, Manatee and Myakka rivers which all have back waters off the beaten path. I Didn't have time to stop but from the road they looked very fishy.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Very cool Nathan.
Hmmm, no pictures of babes though ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts