ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Fleet Phospho-soda

7K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  ja-knee-sea 
#1 ·
Anyone had the 'pleasure' of having to take that stuff. Gotta prep myself Sunday and from what I have been reading I better be near a bathroom after ingesting it :)17

#5 ·
Sitting on the throne.

Oz: I went thru that about 5 years ago. My advice to you would be to get setup in the bathroom with your magazines and radio while your sitting on the throne. Don't even bother wipeing yourself after each movement, or bothering putting your pants on. Otherwise you will have a raw behind. Hopefully you are the only one at home or else have 2 bathrooms. After the all clear sign, then you can wipe yourself and take a shower to clean up. Good luck.

#8 ·
The prep tastes TERRIBLE. The procedure ain't nothing it's the prep that will haunt you.

Make sure ya get started early enough so that your done clearing the pipe before you go to bed. If not, I recommend putting down a large plastic sheet otherwise you may wake up to a mess. Not that this happened to me.....I'm just sayin'.
:lol:

Try not to shart. :eek:

#10 ·
After a whole bunch of radio active barium and an appendectomy and filled with air and generally a tale of modern malpractice of medicine, I got a bit of the cocktail to clear the barium didn't really work till 4 am after I was released since they had tortured me enough and it was Sunday, day 2 of the medical society's golf outing.

I might sound bitter but really its just humor. 8:)

#11 ·
what jb and blu said :( :( :( how tue!!

oz,

when I had the "procedure: my doc recommended the one where i was awake so i could drive home after. The problem was he forgot to tell me that because I was not knocked out that is was a two part procedure. The first part the camera went about 1/2 way, the second part was drinking the berruium, filled with air, then gas for the next three days :roll: :roll: :)3 :)3

if you have a choice, go for the knocked out one!!!!

#12 ·
Well I started the 'procedure' I'm doing the dilute part, where I just put one table spoon in a glass of water, and repeat until the 1.5 OZ is used up (must be done within 30 minutes).

Diluted not too bad, like weak salt water.

I have some adult diapers I bought last year in case I ever got the flu and had stuff coming out both ends if you get my drift. I'll be wearing them when I go to bed, although I should be cleared out by then. Second round is 18:30 - 19:00.

And they told me someone had to drive me home so I'll be getting knocked out - probably twilight medicated or what-ever they call it. Still conscious enough where they can tell me to roll over, speak, sit, beg, what-ever. :roll:

Wonder if I get a get some video so I can upload it to YouTube :p

#13 ·
On a lighter note...before the procedure I was in a recovery room where others had the same thing already done. All of them were in one way or another regaining their composure so to speak. I was ready to crack a window with all the gas being passed. I actually had to laugh cuz I never heard farts flying in a group format.

Before you know it OZ you'll be back in business. No worries.

#14 ·
JB said:
On a lighter note...before the procedure I was in a recovery room where others had the same thing already done. All of them were in one way or another regaining their composure so to speak. I was ready to crack a window with all the gas being passed. I actually had to laugh cuz I never heard farts flying in a group format.

Before you know it OZ you'll be back in business. No worries.
Alright, more fun to look forward to 8:)

Now I have cotton mouth but no liquids after midnight so it will have to stay that way. *ugh*.

Made it through the night okay. Guess I was emptied out enough before going to bed.

Yes boys and girls, this is what you get to experience as you age :)3

#17 ·
funfishing said:
im looking foward to the youtube video ;)

like jb said, the worst part is actually over!
I asked for video but they said nope :evil: I do have a few photos though. I'll scan the photo montage in and we call all play 'spot the polyps' :lol: 3 of them, call next week to see if they are cancerous. In not, repeat in 4 years.

I *thought* I saw some of the procedure, but very little of it. They said it took about 25 minutes and by the time they wheeled me back to the room I was completely alert.

Now for some food :)2

BTW Digital - don't think you have to take the gallon stuff anymore, at least for for a colonoscopy. Just 3 OZ of Fleet.

#18 ·
Oz,

I'm having the upper and lower GI's done next Monday...not looking forward to it. Thanks for the play by play :lol:

Seriously though, hope all of your test results came out ok. I have frequent and chronic stomach issues on both ends so the doc's thought it would be best to do the scopes to insure that no deteriorative negative effects have occurred over time.

Neil

#20 ·
blufloyd said:
I thought real doctors yanked them polyps out when they spotted them. And then made you come back every year.

My day is coming but I got so many things brewing its hard to fit another tool in...../rofl
If they are cancerous they probably will but otherwise you almost always have a polyp or two and most importantly, will insurance cover a yearly one /argue

#23 ·
See the procedure was over before ya knew it....
Usually the docs will remove the polyps while they're in there. So even tho they found some, by no means, determines any unfortunate outcome. The removal is part of the procedure and it helps in eliminating any obstructions down the road.

If 3 oz of fleet is all that is needed then my gastro is one sick puppy. I remember having to dilute the stuff in like a gallon of water and dilute is not an exaggeration by any means. The stuff is ruff. The last one I had done about a year ago...I was gagging just at the smell. I think I ended up throwing the glass out. Lemon flavor my a**.

Anyway...another funny part was that they had a monitor setup in front of me last time. Like I wanna watch......I remember being a bit in lalaland, but keep the video on pay per view. For those that don't have insurance that may be exactly what you get.

FYI, I had the procedure done when I had very lame insurance and it cost me around 3 grand. Amazing. I pay out the ass for literally!

On a side note....ya think that procedure was disturbing.....try the one where they stick the camera down into your stomach. Put me under pls. Talk about a gag reflex. Oddly enough I'd rather have a camera shoved up my bum. That's all I'm saying.

I was ready for them to shake hands somewhere in the middle! :eek:

JB

#24 ·
my buddy just had the procedure done, and now they even have pills you can take!!( jb, i also had to drink the mix with a gallon of water. I tried mixing in ginger ale, but still terrible :)3 :oops: :oops: )

the pills would be much better than having to drink anything!

#25 ·
Swamp water

[quote="J
If 3 oz of fleet is all that is needed then my gastro is one sick puppy. I remember having to dilute the stuff in like a gallon of water and dilute is not an exaggeration by any means. The stuff is ruff. The last one I had done about a year ago...I was gagging just at the smell. I think I ended up throwing the glass out. Lemon flavor my a**.

JB: I had to take that gallon of swamp water myself. When I questioned my proctologist that other people took small amounts of other stuff, he claimed he wants to make sure that I am really cleaned out, so he can find any minute polyps. Figure that one out. I also threw out the last glass. I couldn't take any more. The only positive side of the cleanout, is no one can say your full of S==t.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#26 ·
I'm taking the pills. No drinks for me. Still, though, it's going to be a crappy Easter for me...literally. I have to take all of that stuff on Sunday for the Monday procedure. Not looking forward to it!

Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.