ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to go to Florida Keys for a week in June and would like information on a guide or charter for fishing the Keys, also what I should fish for. Is Tarpon a good choice that time of year? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ff-

June is a very good month in the Keys for Tarpon. If you fish the back country and flats yours choices will be limited mainly to tarpon, bonefish, permit, redfish, snook and sharks. May and June are the top 2 months of the year for tarpon. You can fish them on light tackle or on the fly. Get a good guide because the back country is huge and difficult to navigate. The rule of thumb for tarpon fishing is fish the bridges at night or early morning with live bait and fish the back country passes during the day time. You will have to run all the way to Flamingo to get the reds and snook. A great jumping off point that is centrally located is Islamorada, which is essentially the center of the Keys fishing universe. A greal local guide is Captain Charlie Owens. I have fished with him and learned a great deal. He is a personal friend of Mark Sosin. If interested contact me and I will give you complete rundown for fishing and lodging..etc...

-s

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.