ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had many intentions on flyfishing the Lake this year, especially since I go to school practically on it, I currently hold residence on the Northwestern campus in Evanston. I pretty much tie flies, study, and party, and of course wait until I can go home to the fox and fish there. But this coming spring I am hoping to get the flyrod out here and fish the lake, to be honest I am not really sure where to start I will be fishing from the shore, and flyfishing for mostly anything that hits the line! just wondering what advice you guys got, and maybe some locations, and patterns. Thanks and Tight Lines Y'all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You Got to try carp fishing with a fly rod. I hear the big lake is awsome. I have fished for carp with fly equipment for a few years. It is a blast. I cant imagine hooking up with a lake Michigan giant, all the room in the world to fight it out. Try it let me know how it goes.

Eck, [email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Post the results of fly fishing the lake. I tried once from a pier in Door County WI. I cast a streamer fly out as far as possible and stripped it back in with short, jerky movements. Several times I saw shadows following the fly but couldn't identify the fish. No hits. The day was so cold and windy that I gave up after 30 minutes or so.

I'd enjoy hearing about spots where a fly rod could be used successfully from the shore. My little canoe is too small (and I'm too old)for paddling those big waters.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Flyfished the big lake last March of 2001. I fished it at the Dean Mitchell Power Plant in Gary. The plant is no longer pumping warm water, from what I've heard so the fishing would not be as good now. I managed a couple 16 in. smallies, a white fish, and some type of sucker. I used a shooting head, a short leader, and a clouser. Worked pretty well, but the wind can be a problem. The longer the rod the better. I used a 9ft 7wt., but a 10-11ft. 8wt. would have really launched the fly out there.

Scud

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scud on 2002-04-08 08:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
35 Posts
I imagin its the same here but in Door County the past few years Ive caught alot of carp in the spring on the big lake,(Mid june).My best fly,a 2"yellow and white clouser on a floating 6wt line.Sometimes the 6wt doesn't have enough ass.You'll be able to see them on the rocks.Fish that are crusing, usualy in pairs or small groups are the most difficult.Try to sneak up on actual spawning and cast to the fish near the action.Hang On!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts