ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Fly

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  amused 
G
#1 ·
It's almost time to catch fish again, and I was wondering how many of you guys realize how superior catching a smallie on a fly rod is to any other method. I'm curious because I've caught them both ways. To me, there is no comparison. Have you guys tried it? If not, why not? It is really the way to go! A bronzeback breaking the surface after a dry fly is like nothing else. After catching smallies on a fly rod, I can't imagine going back to the spinning rod. What do you think?

G
#2 ·
If not, why not?
For a couple of reasons...
1. Fly fishing is too much like work to me!

2. Flyfishermen (for the most part) seem to think that anyone who doesn't flyfish isn't really fishing the "right way" A theory to which I do not subscribe.

3. It's pretty hard to coax a smallie into hitting a tiny little fly sitting on the surface when he is 15-20 ft deep hiding in the shadowy nooks & crannys of Lake Michigans many breakwalls, maybe when they are sitting in the shallows on their beds but with Lake Michigans high winds working a fly is like...if you will pardon the expression "pissin' into the wind"

I'm sure Smallies on a fly is a real ball on the right waters, but given the waters I fish then it's just not a high yield technique.

G
#3 ·
<font color="#FFFF00">I think i got a new St Croix for christmas and havent had the chance to try it yet.Not to sound like a dumb ass but im having a hard time just getting the line spooled. Why the hell are the knots so tough to tie? Im personally asking you for help would you email me and help me get this set up so i can learn how to cast the dam thing. The smallmouth alliance has a 45- 55 % ratio.45% to the flycasters and they say the same thing you did its awesome . would you consider meeting me at one of the preserves over the next weekend and helping me with my dillema? Im dam good with a spinning rod but im getting my ass kicked with this flyrod. Ive even gotten myself some great flys for smallies and could use some insight on those also. Thanks in advance Kevin Email is kdells1@aol.com</font>

G
#4 ·
<font color="#FFFF00">Welcome to the Rock b-board Bob. I enjoy your posts on the fox board. Kevin</font> P.s. go easy on us country boys some of these guys wont understand your humor like the guys on the sound off board. Personally i like your wit and wish more guys had the guts to state their opinions,i personally get slammed for it all the time

#6 ·
I like using the fly rod when conditions are right. Right conditions means low water and relatively clear water and warm water temps. It is a blast to catch smallies on the fly rod, but if conditions are not right, conventional tackle works better. Plastic baits, crankbaits, and spinners put off vibration that can't be matched with a fly rod. In off colored water, I use what works best and that is the spinning rod.

#7 ·
Smallmouth are second only to trout for fly fishing for me. To address Bob, the flies used for smallmouth are not tiny at all. A size 6 Wolly Bugger would be very comparable to a smallmouth jig used by spin fishers. To Kevin, yes the equipment is a bit different and learning new knots etc... may seem like a pain at first, but before you know it you will be hand tying your leaders. You need to know how to tie an Albright knot (backing to line), a nail knot (line to leader). I assume you are using prefab tapered leaders. If so, you'll want to pick up some spool material to add to it as it is used up. Use a double surgeons knot for adding tippet to your leader.

BigA hit it on the head with smallies. Low/warm water is the best time to fly fish for smallies.

#8 ·
Fly fishing requires room, space, land, air traffic control. Back and forth, back and forth, 1100 to 0100, 1100 to 0100, then 0900.

The proper fly line can present a fly lightly on the surface or 30' down. Depends on the line type. You could adding lead-core behind the tippet for the same sinking effect.

Flies can be presented with spinning gear and a casting bubble and it doesn't require 30yds behind you to cast 35yds in front. I suppose I could master the "roll cast".

Fly fishing is limited as to where you can use it. Fun factor is definatly there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.