ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Butterfield Road, turned onto rt31, ....suddenly I drove over a bridge over the Fox river....there was a damn on the north side, and people were fishing and wadding.

What kind of fish are around there? I saw a Dam... I got excited, almost wanted to not go to my work appointment and fish instead.

I'd love to hear that smallmouth bass would be in that area, but if anyone has any tips, it'd be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is the North Aurora Dam. I fished it a couple of times of few years back for flathead, but did not catch anything. A few guys out there were telling me they did well for smallies along the east shoreline. I am sure there are people who are more knowledgable about the area. Good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You might want to check out the park south of the bridge(east side).I`ve seen alot of people wading over there for smallies.When you get into the park...go all the way to the end of the lot.You`ll see some nice spots to wade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good-- thanks for the advice. -- I've only waded once in the past-- it was actually last fall (paid a guide a lot of money to catch salmon and steelhead... probably best fishing day of my life and worth every penny...but I bought waders for that-- they're thick, the water was very cool).

-Should I use to my current waders that are warm from Fall? I think the term is neopren? --a spongy feel, but water proof.

OR
should will I get overly hot, and actually get some regular summer waders (and if I do that-- any recommendations?)

Thanks! I still need to catch my 10th smallmouth bass of my life. What whatever reason, smallies and I have never communicated well enough, instead I've been a largemouth guy.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Holy Bass Dung Batman!

Save your money and toss on a pair of shorts and old gym shoes for heaven's sake! The water's nice!

:lol:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Got some stats? I may change my mind? I'll remind you that I'm a Quality guy... ;)

Been doin it since '95 with no adverse effects, infection, etc. If I have an open cut etc, I'll throw on the waders, but those neoprenes are hot!

Adam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to add a picture of a couple fish in here - but I'm not sure why (I see an IMG button, but it didn't help me). If I was going to put one for my profile name, does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks again for the info on that river spot. I'll have to try it, when I'm not working, when my girlfriend will let me, and when I have free time. I'm not sure when that will be, but when the time comes, catching a fish or no fish ...waders or no waders, I'll be in peace!

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Fish E said:
In neoprene waders you will get very hot in the summer. If you think you will be using them alot and can justify the expense I'd recommend a pair of breathable waders. They are usually pretty expenive (150 - 200$) but are well worth it.

Heres a link to a place that sometimes has some deals: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/2248_Waders.html
Bass bro shop has some nice breathable waders for under $100.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Again I offer...

Show me some empirical data on the "fecal bacteria" content on the Fox river...

You may be surprised at the amount of the same in your tap water....

/beer

For the record....not trying to start anything. Just curious for hard facts. I've often wondered. I'm sure the DNR has some hard data.

FishE, you may as well considering what Ed tells me is your occupation...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'll ask the people in the lab tommorrow if you really want to know, Adam. I know there are plenty of people that do wet wade without any adverse effects. I wasn't really trying to say that it is harmful to wet wade (unless you have a cut or something), it's just a personal preference. Heck, I've done it myself a few times it just gives me the willys when I think about it.

One thing you don't want to do, obviously, is get any river water in your mouth. I got Giardia when I was a kid after swimming in Fox lake. Not Fun at all.....I was sick for almost a month until the doctors figured out what I had. They figured I must of swallowed a bunch of water while I was swimming.

Jmoburg - You have to be a subscriber to use the photo album, otherwise you could use photobucket or something like it. Someone more familiar with that could probably help you. I think if you E-mail Ed a picture he can set up the avatar for you.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Fish E,

No problem. The reality of the situation is that not everyone can afford to go out and buy a pair of waders. I just don't want anyone to feel like it's a "must have" before they try out the Fox. Heck, I'm still saving for those $200.00 bretheable stocking foot jobbies I saw in my Spring/Summer Cabelas catalog! Until then, I'll just keep emptying out the loose gravel from my old hiking shoes and make sure I keep my mouth closed when I trip over some of those rocks that seem to jump up and bite me in the arse periodically!

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Fish E said:
One thing you don't want to do, obviously, is get any river water in your mouth. I got Giardia when I was a kid after swimming in Fox lake. Not Fun at all.....I was sick for almost a month until the doctors figured out what I had. They figured I must of swallowed a bunch of water while I was swimming.

Fish E: Reminds me of that Native American philosopy Don't drink the water if a White man is upstream from you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
fox river north aurora

there is some nice walleye and smallies in under the bridge not very deep usally u can see them swimming around ive been fishing that area for 10 years now from st charles to montgomery and if u are around oswego there is a nice smallie place ther 2 right in front of the feeder creek just before u cross the bridge turn and park on the side street of of 31 and follow the bike path u do have to wade in the water but nice fishin i caught the biggest smallie there ive ever caught in my life 2 years ago catch and release

1 - 18 of 18 Posts