ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was brought up in another post and I thought it was a great idea. I know it's freezing out but I thought now would be a good time to plan a date before everyone's schedules all booked up. So what do you fox river guys or anyone for that matter think? Get out meet some fellow CLFers and help out.

I willing to clean up any area not just the Fox but it's my home water, sooo. Maybe we could have separate "cleaning teams" to pick up different areas. i.e. several of you fish a certain forest preserve or section of the lake etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm in as so long as my girlfriend doesn't preempt it with crap I have to do. ;)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I could probably cover alot of area in my kayak...was also thinking of doing this for the Freinds of the Fox....it would have to wait until the river came down for that though :eek:

I will try to make it but after this weekend most of my weekends will be spent either in wisconsin or at work.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Best is to wait until spring is over and the glut of people using the ground as a trash can.
Then it will be noticed that things were cleaned up by someone.
Not that everyone will take it as a hint but...
In years past we picked up along the dam area of a town, and then fish for the afternoon.
It's sort of the kind of thing that each lake or river has to get a group together.
We could try to pick a day that we're all out in our areas, whether the Fox, Kankakee, or...
But each group will ultimately have to organize amongst themselves for what day works best for them.

We could, I guess, post pictures and have a ... we picked up more garbage than you, nah nah, thing ;)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was just checking FOFR's site to see when and where they are doing their clean-ups....noticed Elgin isn't one of the locations. http://www.friendsofthefoxriver.org/foxrescue.htm

Not saying we shouldn't bother with the areas they are going to be getting, but Elgin could definately be a place to start.....I can think of a few areas off the top of my head that get trashed.

·
Registered
911 Posts
WaterGuy said:
Elgin could definately be a place to start.....I can think of a few areas off the top of my head that get trashed.
Even those parts that aren't hit the hardest still get a bit of crap tossed off. I was at the South Elgin dam last Saturday, I was the only person out while I was there and it was totally unfishable (seriously, even a 1/2 oz jig wasn't getting down in that current) and there was plenty of mono and lure packages to go after while I was there.

It would be best if we could manage a sign or two too, something like "This area cleaned up by ChicagolandFishing.com"

Publicity is priceless.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I think Mike Clifford mentioned it was.
There wasn't such a thing when I called about it years back but there may be something now like adopt a highway, only for rivers and lakes.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I touched base with Jessi from FOF today. She's very supportive of how we would like to help out. She will provide gloves, bags, coolers of water, and pick up. Most of FOF's dates are May 31st, but she said if we need to choose another date that would be fine.

Let's do this guys, and get it done for this fishery we all love! :)2

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
If I'm off that day. I'd be glad to get out and do some cleaning.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Hoffman said:
So I touched base with Jessi from FOF today. She's very supportive of how we would like to help out. She will provide gloves, bags, coolers of water, and pick up. Most of FOF's dates are May 31st, but she said if we need to choose another date that would be fine.

Let's do this guys, and get it done for this fishery we all love! :)2
I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm about FOF but...
CLF will not be aligning themself with them.
If you want to help them out that's your business but as far as having the CLF name associated with them, it's not going to happen.

If CLF organizes a clean-up it won't be 'with' them.
The reason isn't that CLF wants credit it all for itself for a clean-up effort, it's that we don't want the name of CLF associated with their organization.
They have some beliefs and tactics that do not align themselves with our mission statement.

If you need further clarification on them feel free to PM me as I don't want to use the open forums to bash them.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ed I meant to PM you before I posted that to get your thoughts, wishing I did now. If your and other CLFers are in, I would still like to do a CLF clean up. You have more experience with the city and organizing this.

What all do we really need? Garbage bags, Gloves? and a pick up location right? I guess most important Volunteers willing to get dirty.

Let me know your thoughts on getting this going.

Thanks

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Pretty much just garbage bags.
CLF can provide those.
The it's just a matter of everyone bringing a pair of gloves... and their fishing pole :p
Depending on where we decide to do it, I'll just contact city officials and get a designated spot for us to leave the bags.

Waders are good for reaching stuff that's stuck on the river side of tress and bushes.

With a dozen or so people it doesn't take long to really clean up a stretch of river.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good luck with the cleanup

I found that I want to have clean places to fish at, live at, and work at. At all 3 places I get a box or garbage bags, and I pick up trash. Noone "paid" seems to want to clean up after themselves. Some of the most flagrant trash throwers out fishing seem to be people who are well off, drive a brand new SUV or diesal fueled huge truck. Many got "union" bumper stickers on thier vehicles. They eat, drink, fish, and throw thier garbage out thier window when driving, or they open a lure package and just toss the package on the shores or into the water. Yet, I'll see family of non-Americans out fishing, and they have the little 5 year old baby picking up trash. They make it fun, not a burdon. Why then, do some people who make 5 times per hour than you or me throw trash like they have no concern for the environment? Again, we can not rely on government to clean up our fishing and hunting areas, and our neighborhoods either. It is up to all of us individually, or combined to express our concerns and go out and do the cleaning up ourselves. A group effort is good, but each person can also make a considerable dent in the trash. I don't go by the Fox at all. This kind of effort is needed all over the state. Hats off to doing what you can. We need more people to care and clean up all over. I know I try cleaning up the Des Plaines River, when I go there. I throw the trash into my dumpster at work. We can bottom fish and while waiting for a bite, clean up a little bit here and there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts