ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys-
I've lived in DuPage county my whole life and I mainly fish the DuPage river and subdivision ponds. This year I'd like to get out and try and fish the Fox. I've never really gave it a chance because I don't really know much about it. What are the spots I should target on the river from St. Charles to Oswego? What kind of baits should I use? I don't really have any specific fish to target, just pretty much anything that will be biting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Jigs with twister tails have been a staple of the Fox for many years.
Along with them, inline spinners and small Rapala type stickbaits or small crankbaits work well.

If you do a search on the Fox river and read through the multitude of posts you'll get a good idea of what works and also the best types of water to fish.

Much like any river, eddys, and current edges are great places to start.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll agree with Ed if your fishing for bass, panfish or the walleyes, however I don't believe you'll be as successful if your fishing for cats or musky.

Kyle

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Same tackle.
Jigs and twisters are cheaper though if you get snagged. ;)
The usual baits will work for cats, drum, panfish, etc..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd invest in a pair of waders and wade the Fox, especially in the spring time for Walleye and bass. It's not as good of stretch as the pool in St. Charles; however you should be able to pick up some diferent species fish.

Kyle

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are there any part of the Fox River system that is off limits to waders? I live in Oswego and am wanting to try the pool just north of rte 34 bridge and below Yorkville dam.
Chin,

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
CSK said:
Are there any part of the Fox River system that is off limits to waders? I live in Oswego and am wanting to try the pool just north of rte 34 bridge and below Yorkville dam.
Chin,
The only parts that are off limits to wading would be the ones over your head.
Although I guess you could wade those too if you had SCUBA gear. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
you took the words right out my mouth Ed....LOL And also, i agree, if you don't have a boat, waders are the ONLY way to go. Except for when the water level is too high of course. But even then, there are still some areas one can wade. Just use common sense, and stay safe. (out of strong current) I would make sure and buy waders with felt bottom boots. These really help one not to slip and hurt oneself, or worse. I prefer waders where i have to buy the boots separately. The waders with the boots attached are nice, although if you accidentally puncture a boot in the wrong place (like i did on my 5th wearing), the waders are basically useless then. Unless one doesn't mind a wet foot/leg. I had a hell of a time patching it properly, and it only held up for a month or so. Also, I imagine that the rubber boot will wear out over time and become brittle and crack (like mine also did). Of course the boot cracked around my patch job because i just kept them hanging in the garage seeing as how they got ruined on the fifth wearing. What a shame. :cry: This is why i somewhat dislike waders with boots attached. I believe it is worth spending the extra money to buy the items separately. Good luck out there, and again, be safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, if you like to crank bait fish, the Rebel Crawdad is a great lure for any river. I like the shallow diving one. The level has to be right to use it however. This lure has caught me just about every species except northern and musky (not to say that i haven't lost a few crawdads to them), and a couple panfish. I even caught a monster carp on it in South Elgin, and a rare river redhorse in Algonquin. In the Wisconsin River I caught two bass at once on it. I also caught about a 10 pound channel in the Wisconsin River with it. It helps to put some scent on it. Get the one with the lite brown top, white in middle, and orange on bottom. It works great. I've never experimented with the deeper diving ones, as i don't have a boat either, but i imagine they would tear 'em up too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts