ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! New to this forum! I'm no stranger fishing for nice LMB but I wanted to get in on the action for some SMB! I fished 7/1 downstream near the dam in Geneva, IL at "Old Mill Park" and had 2 Smallies miss. Other than that I got skunked. I fished 7/2 in the morning in similar areas and I got 1 Smallie around 10" on a crankbait. I also had another bite but I think it was a little small biter. I've tried a variety of lures and baits including: spinnerbaits, inline spinners, crankbaits, swimbaits, flukes, plastic crayfish, and even live worms. So far crankbaits and swimbaits have worked the best. The water also seemed shallow as there were people walking around in the river and also fisherman wading. I spoke with several people on my time out and of the 4 people, 2 caught nothing, 1 older gentleman told me he caught 4 nice ones and 2 dinks, and another guy told me he caught 1 probably around 3 lbs. I know there are nice fish to be found because of the various reports I've heard. I even tried my luck above the dam in a nearby park and saw several Smallmouth in the 3-4lb range jump out of the water! I was surprised! The Fox River is a good 30 minutes away from where I live so I would appreciate any spots, tips, and advice. I'm hoping to try from the shore in St. Charles and possibly the Elgin area here soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I fish the river in South Elgin. There are tons of small mouth through that section, and if you can get into some of the slack pools with the weeds you can find some large mouth and northern pike even sometimes.I Have never fished the river in Geneva but after reading this and looking at the pictures I will definitely be trying my hand there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts