ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are good spots to shore fish on the Fox River? I've been wanting to take a drive out that way and would love a chance at a walleye or smallie. I've never fished it before but have always wanted to.

- Chris

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
From Algonquin to Yorkville there are good places to shorefish. I normally fish St Charles, Geneva and Batavia just because it's close, PM sometime you're thinking of heading out and maybe we can fish a couple sections. However, once the water comes down I'll be wading.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Whenever I'm asked where to fish the river I tell people to draw a line from where they are to the river along the shortest route.
In general there good places all along the river.
I'm sure if you said what towns along the river would be closest some more specific suggestions would come up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks Ed. The easiest to get to for me would probably be either the Batavia area or Oswego. I know one is north and the other is south but those are the easiest with regards to highways for me. I live at basically I294 and Cicero.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
The Batavia dam area can be good and just south of Wilson Street there is an island area that can be good.
I'm not real familiar with the Oswego area as far as specific spots but once you learn what makes the Fox tick most areas offer the same type of fishing in like areas.
Areas such as riffles, around bridges, any discharges (usually from water treatment plants) dam areas and large eddys provide good fishing.

The trick is usually good shoreline access which is why wading is so popular on the Fox below the Algonquin dam on south.
You can find good public access to the river and pretty much go as far as your legs will carry you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am planning on investing in some waders for just such a purpose. Thanks for the info Ed! Does anyone have any reccomendations on some good waders and boots?

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
I have 3-mil Hodgemans and just use a soft sided hiking boot like you can get at a big-box store.
One of these days though I'm going to a 5-mil neoprene for cold water wading and getting a pair of breathables for summer.
It's not a necessity but it would make both types of wading, as far as water temps, more comfortable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
wmuallstar said:
I am planning on investing in some waders for just such a purpose. Thanks for the info Ed! Does anyone have any reccomendations on some good waders and boots?
buy cheap waders and good boots, you're going to trash the waders anyway. Actually middle of the road Cabelas are pretty nice and if they start to leak in the seams they'll take them back.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up purchasing a $50 pair of waders from BPS and then some $40 boots for them. I wanted to keep it under $100 for my first pair. If I end up getting really serious with wading I'll eventually throw down some more cash on a nicer set but for now these will do just fine. I'm planning my first trip with these new waders for this Sunday on the Dupe, I'll post how I do.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I tie my rod to my bike and ride the trail south from S. Elgin fishing random spots all the way down to St. Chas. The bike path is smooth riding. Haven't needed to wade yet. Maybe this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.