ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOING TO TRY GAGES THIS SUMMER ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS LAKE? ARE THE WALLEYE ANY GOOD? WHAT IS THE PROMINATE FISH ? IS THERE ANY DEPTH MAPS FISHING HOTSPOTS I WAS TOLD DO NOT MAKE THEM FOR THIS LAKE. ASLO IS THIS LAKE BUSY IN THE SUMMER I DONT THINK IT COULD BE WORSE THAN THE CHAIN FOR BOAT TRAFFIC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have fished Gages Lake for three years. Fishing is best in spring. Summer welcomes all the jet skiers, tubers, ect.. and it is pratically impossible to catch anything until they get off the water. Summer night are good cat fishing, try for bass early before everyone gets out. We got good smallies, and huge stippers. On the north portion of the lake lies a 50+ foot hole, about 150 yards off the the shores aroundroute 45 the campground beach and the Lagoon. This is the biggest of three holes. The others 30 feet off the Lagoon beach, and another in the middle south center of the lake. Try trolling around the drop offs of the 50 foot hole. Walleye are pretty good, the lake was stock about 4 years ago with 3000 figerlings. Pike are massive. Walleye I have heard lay up on a gravel bed near one of the three springs I know of, on the east side about three houndered yards south of the lagoon. Look for a rock retaining wall on the shore. Flip 4 inch tubes in the shallows. Worms on a bobber has never failed for most speicies. I have a map somewhere around here.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I may check that place out too, my uncle lives like 5 minutes away. I know its big, but is this a lake you're better off taking a boat out to fish?

·
Registered
561 Posts
yes, a boat would be recommended. I have no idea where the boat launch is and what it costs. I pass that lake almost everyday since I live about 3 minutes from there

·
Registered
3 Posts
boat ramp

Gages Lake is a privet lake. Only member of the subdividsion Wildwood, Idelwild, Dady Decker can use the ramps. Keys are required. Wildwood is a jerk and will not let the other subdivisions use the parks and ramps. If you park at the parks your car has to have a association sticker or you can get a ticket. I am from Idelwild so I have to use the Dady Decker ramp. The person in charge of the keys lives right next to the ramp, and seems to have a lot of time to keep a eye on things. If anyone is found letting a non resident that has not paid use the ramps you will lose your key. The traffic on the lake is very high in the summer, and the lake can not haddel any more. I fell they already have way too big boats on the 140 acker lake. I think non residents only hope is to pay the camp ground to use there ramp. I am not sure how much they charge, but I am sure you can lunch from there with a fee. They may also have a limit of how many boats they can lunch at any given time, but am not sure.

·
Registered
561 Posts
well I avoid the lake, too difficult to get into and if you have mister nosey neighbor, then it isn't worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts