ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we're getting a bit antsy for some Northwoods fishing again. Usually take a couple trips up to Presque Isle/Boulder Junction area each summer. Just figured I'd share our fish story of the year from last year.

Mind you, let me start off by saying I am not a Muskie fisherwoman. They're fun to catch but I certainly don't target them... I have more fun when I hook one "accidentally." :lol:

So last September, we went up north to try the walleye bite one last time. We were jiggin with light tackle in our usual spot on the lake and not having any luck. My hubby hooks into a decent sized rock bass and all of a sudden the line gets a bit heavy. Yep, you guessed it, a muskie had latched onto his rock bass and was along for the ride. I'd seen this on the internet but never in real life... we couldn't believe it! It was amazing! Needless to say, we didnt' get it to the boat, it let go after about a minute or so leaving a dead bass for my hubby, which at that point was satisfying.

So next thing I know, my hubby and my dad (a self-proclaimed muskie fisherman) pick up their muskie gear and start throwing away. By now, they figured they knew why the walleye weren't biting. Makes sense right?? So me, frustrated because my little walleye tackle isn't gonna get me far with their muskie gear, I turn around and decide to drop in the deeper water on the other side of the boat. At this point, I wasnt' even seriously fishing (hate to say it, I'd kinda given up). I get a little "dink, dink" the nice little walleye tap, give it some line and a good 60 count and set the hook. Holy &%^$#%^& were the next words out of my mouth. I had something BIG!!! So my hubby and dad drop the big gear to "coach" me on. HAHA.

It wasn't until about 1/2 way through my 15 minute give and take battle that we realized that I had a Muskie!!!! Mind you I was using light tackle, 6 lb line, 1/16 ounce jig with a nightcrawler!!!

Yep! I boated it! It was 38 inches and I realeased it to hopefully fight again this year.

The best was my dad making the comment about having thousands of $$$ of muskie tackle, and his daughter catches one on a nightcrawler!!!! :evil:

Can't wait for spring!!!!!! Hope the pics work!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/kmremtp/100_1716.jpg http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/kmremtp/100_1718.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/kmremtp/100_1725.jpg

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Awesome story. Fished the boulder junction area a few times. I hope there are many more muskies in your future.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have found when Muskie fishing is tough, and I get discouraged, I will sometimes pick up the UL and X-Rap or Senko to get some Smallies...and sometimes end up getting a Muskie!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Great story and fish. Thanks for sharing. I've got the fish fever like you wouldn't believe....

Neil

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just Listen........
When the Muskie are not biting.......It's God saying............................

Hey, DUMBHEAD, downsize your tackle. :-D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
getdanet1 said:
Just Listen........
When the Muskie are not biting.......It's God saying............................

Hey, DUMBHEAD, downsize your tackle. :-D
Truer words are rarely spoken!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts