ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused on what is needed to guide in Illinois. I know it depends on which water you guide on. I think that if the water is federally navigable like the lake, or all the large rivers then you need a coast guard license (captain's license). I know you have to get that 50 dollar sticker that goes on your boat from the DNR. And with that application you have to send in an inspection form. I wonder if I can fill that out myself or do I have to have someone qualified do it? And is this 50 dollar sticker/license all that I need to guide on inland lakes like heidecki or Lasalle?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know Iam not much help but maybe I can direct you in that area.
I would think that some locals would be able to tell you what all you need.
Big Knob's Bait & Tackle at Starved Rock area has been Guiding for quite a few yrs if you can't get any results he might be the man to see.
Hope this helps and Good Luck fishin.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yep, thats it.

If it federally navigated waterways, then a coast guard license is needed, he typical "6 pack". That includes the Illinois, Mississippi Rivers.

If you are doing heidecke for example, you need to get the form signed by another USCG mariner.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Believe it or not, the Fox Chain falls under the
category of being a Federally Navigable Waterway.
You need a Coast Guard license to guide on the Chain.
They have made a limited license available specifically
for the Chain and the course and test are available on line.
It's not the best situation, but it beats having to have the
full-blown license.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
SteveSarley said:
Believe it or not, the Fox Chain falls under the
category of being a Federally Navigable Waterway.
You need a Coast Guard license to guide on the Chain.
They have made a limited license available specifically
for the Chain and the course and test are available on line.
It's not the best situation, but it beats having to have the
full-blown license.
Steve, I read your article in "Illinois Outdoor News". I'm glad you're looking into this issue, and even though I personally have no vested interest in the outcome, I am glad for your common sense approach.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vessel check

Mark, you said I would need to get the form signed by a USCG mariner. Does he do the vessel check and then sign the form for the $50 dollar license that I would then send to the DNR? Does anyone know what is the best way to get in contact with a mariner?

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
iceman,

I'm a USCG licensed captain and I live in Plainfield. I could do your inspection and sign off for you (as long as everything is in order of course) for you, just let me know when you want to hook up. It only takes a short time.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There you go. Tubes will help you out.

Go the USCG site. They have this online interactive tutorial that asks questions about your boat having the right safety gear. A nice primer. (Give that fire extinquisher a stir if its be sitting.)

I was at the Naperville Rod and Reel club the other night. One member said all boats (I hate to use the term vessells here) need to have the Coast Guard inspection Sticker. Some new law.

Now I know everyone in the FLW port clinton last week had to get USCG inspected, that is before, your typical tournanment day inspection.

But I this the first I heard of it. I dont see how the federales can mandate this. Some boats never leave heidecke. Anyone hear of this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts