ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the canal between Channahon and Morris actually has fish in it. All week I shore fished the Illinois River in Morris with not a lot of luck. Still to early I think.

Friday I decided to try my luck on the canal. I fished with a night crawler dragging the bottom. I was there maybe 10 minutes before I caught a 8 inch crappie. Ten minutes later I pulled in a 12 inch large mouth. I then watched my other pole, as I released the large mouth, my pole bent in half and away it went. I was able to grab it as it was heading for the water. Reeling it in I figured it was something of size, and it was.. a buffalo carp about 21 inches just full of eggs.

I stayed a couple of hours and ended up using my dozen crawlers. It was surprisingly a fun afternoon! Obviously nothing of great size, but at least they were biting. All were thrown back to be caught another day. :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
ooh yae it does i fish down ther all the time. most of the time by the channahon dam been up and down the I&M pulled a lot of L.M.bass & cats out of ther. was in morris just the other day hit Aux Sable Creek. that goes under the I&M pull out about a dozen L.M.bass one 19in. two that were little over 17in. two S.M.Bass about 12in

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Great to hear that the canal’s producing.
I hope to take my nephew fishing (first time I’ll be doing so) this Sunday, and checked CLF today to see if there were any reports for the I&M @ Channahon.

For convenience /ease of getting around, combined with decent action, it seemed the best choice for taking a ten year old fishing.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I&M...

just below the dam would be a good spot for a kid... Plenty if bluegill there.the best way to catch them would be a waxworm under a float about 6"- 12".

·
Registered
33 Posts
probly be pack on the weekend........I took my buddy 5yr old son there with me last week. cast my pole out for him & let him reel it in little shit pulled in a nice L.M. I think he hooked now. I hooked his father last year guy never fish in his life and he,s 38 and now loves it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts