ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robins are all over at the forest preserves. I also saw various woodpeckers, brown creepers, nuthatches, heron(kind?), Canadian Geese (pests? Almost as much a nuscense as starlings. My ears are still ringing from thier honking. They as so domestic that many times I casted, they swam or flew to where I casted. I was yelling at them to go away and to shut up.), various duck species, northern cardinals, red and grey squirrels, coyotee, deer, daytime raccoons, chickadee, junco, black birds, redwinged black birds, a few hawks, gulls, I think a crande of some kind, and white crowned sparrows. Robins are brightly breasted already. They were on the south side of the river towards the areas of Archer Avenue and west towards Sag Quarries, by the hunders, if not thousands. Fishing? Chunks of ice still were getting the way of my line. I tried a few pull offs from 22nd street down to Rt 83. No bites, but, what a day for seeing birds. It was so much fun getting out there with the birds. Oh, I constantly saw minnows flying out of the water down from submerged tree roots, and flooded tree-lined shores. Were these minnows flying out after crappie, walleye, sauger or pike chased them? Oh, also saw a few insects that seemed to resemble fruit flies. I went monday March 10th, 2008. This warm spell should increase the activitiy of bugs, fish, and birds. Careful, shorelines had "black ice" at them. I fell and almost went in feet first a few times because the ground was frozen, just below the surface. What looked like grass or mud was solid ice underneath. We had some serious freezing this winter.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts