ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where is a good spot for Grass Carp near Chicago? Also do you use the same baits and technique when fishing for Common Carp?

I never fished for Grass Carp and would like to.

Joe

·
Registered
118 Posts
If I remeber correctly, grass carp, as their name implies, are primarily vegitable eaters. They're put into ponds and whatnot to keep vegitation down - but sometimes can go too far. I seem to remember something about only stocking one sex to avoid proliferation.

I think they're more difficult to catch than common carp, but I seem to remember someone posting about fishing for them at a pond after the mowers went through sending a bunch of clippings into the water. He tied a grass blade to a flyfishing hook and actually had some luck apparently. I cant vouche for this being something other than an april fools joke though. I've also heard of luck using any local berry or fruit hanging over a body of water - like a mulberry.

I do know they get huge. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i can vouch for the "overhanging tree" claim. where i grew up there was a wide, slow moving creek where a mulberry tree overhung over the creek. the berries would ripen and fall into the creek and the carp would run into each other trying to get to them. i would put a single ripe mulberry onto a small brass hook and catch them all day on an ultralight outfit. lots of fun, a 7 lb carp on 3 lb line.........

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Jackalope said:
If I remeber correctly, grass carp, as their name implies, are primarily vegitable eaters. They're put into ponds and whatnot to keep vegitation down - but sometimes can go too far. I seem to remember something about only stocking one sex to avoid proliferation.
Yes and No - They are stocked in ponds for that purpose (and are actually quite expensive), but they are sterile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts