ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading to Bull Shoals Lake, Arkansas in a couple of weeks, sharing a waterfront rental with friends. The lake is currently 36 feet above normal water level! Ramps and parking are underwater. It's a long way to trailer my 16 foot fishing boat, but I'm fine with that if I can use it. I hear there's a gravel launch nearby and I'll park at the cabin and tie up at our dock, so long as it's possible. I'm wondering if anyone's had experience with these boating conditions on Bull Shoals.
Thinking positive............Dave

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a close friend that is a guide down there at Bull Shoals boat dock, I could get ahold of him and see whats up these days.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
The lake is currently 36 feet above normal water level! Ramps and parking are underwater. It's a long way to trailer my 16 foot fishing boat, but I'm fine with that if I can use it
Not sure, but it sounds like it might be high enough to launch in IL and save your truck from the long drive. :)4

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
On those southern impoundments, water levels can rise and fall several feet in very short periods of time. The current is going to make or break you. Bull Shoals is a deep water fishery as it is. If the water is that high, I might attempt to fish in the newly flooded timber. The ground and trees that are normally above water hold new food sources for the bait and the larger fish should be following the bait. I would also be careful motoring around as the flooded areas will also hold new underwater hazards

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Try some night fishing under lights for trout. Bugs aren't a problem and the trout are pretty easy to catch. PM for details.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back from Bull Shoals

The lake was at very high level. The floodgates were opened first time since completion of the dam in 1951. Fishing the lake produced nothing but a few small panfish. The river however was full of biting Rainbow trout. We went out with guide Tim "Hotdawg" Curtis and landed about 50. Kept our limit for the table and returned the rest to the river. Best method was drifting Power Egg and a bit of corn on bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts