ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out around 10, strong north wind, some white caps. stayed on the south side, hit all of the rip rap, then went to" some deeper holes - one striper about 2 lbs on a rattle trap and one on a nightcrawler and jighead.

Around 1230, the wind stopped completely, the lake became a mirror, started trolling top and shallow runners since the stripers started breaking the surface all over...two hits, no fish before the wind started back up from the south. threw on some deeper divers and nabbed a 16" walleye. Off at 3.

That was it...good to get out though!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Was out there about 3 hrs in the evening til closing.A bunch of small stripers and this 21 incher.No walleye though.

All released

·
Registered
60 Posts
What are you catching them on and where? was out tonight from 500 to close . we got one striper around 6lbs.. and one walleye around 20 in.Also caught a crappie around 10.5 inches. All fish released and caught trolling

·
Registered
216 Posts
Crappie at Heidecke

Hey Nitro,

I was wondering where you caught the crappie.

I fished there Tuesday for a while and also caught a 12 inch crappie while trolling. I hadn't had that happen for twenty years!

I caught mine in the north arm, about 200 yds. east of the island. Were you anywhere near there?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Trolling speed

What's everybody's guess of what the best trolling speed is?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Hey Merv. My wife got a nice one out there as well trolling last year. It hit a trolled crank about 20 yards straight North of the bridge right as we started. Suprised the heck out of us too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cowboy,
It sounds like we were in the same area. when my brother was reeling it in I was shocked to see it was a crappie. I know they were in there years ago but never heard of them lately. hopely the fishing will pickup soon out there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: Trolling speed

dncncwboy56 said:
What's everybody's guess of what the best trolling speed is?
The speed that catches fish. J/K I also would like to know. When I was up there on April 18 with Greg we were trolling damn fast. But had no GPS to tell you the exact speed.

G

·
I think speed depends on what your using and how active the fish are. I have pulled cranks as fast as 3 mph an caught a lot of fish. I usually start faster and slow down until I find what speed works, providing I have the right presentation. Then again, I'm no pro.

Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
High winda

From what I see on weather.com, the Heid may be closed for a few days due to high winds.

I also fished with GH and from knowing the speed my boat trolls at idle, and he and I having comparable setups, he's going 3.5-4 mph.

I've got a 175 w/3 blade prop and it only trolls down to 3.7 mph.

If I drop the trolling motor in the water, that will bring it down to 3.2 mph.

If I want to get slower than that, I have to throw out a drift sock. That gets me down to about 2.5. Any slower and I have to use my trolling motor, that will get me from .1 to 2.3 mph.

So I guess we need to ask the enforcer how fast he was trolling the other day when he caught all those stripers. How 'bout it chicago?

And as far as those crappies go, the water is the right temp for them to spawn so I'm guessing they are staging on the flats out in the lake. It's just that we all fish for stripers, or muskies, or cats, or bass and no one I know ever targets crappie out there. There are probably some two and three pounders there if some great crappie fisherman ever searched them out.

Speaking of great crappie fishermen, one of which I am not, we fished Ky Lake last week and had some good ole boys hand us our butts when it came to catching crappie.

It's 2:30 in the afternoon, sun's hot no wind. We were in our badass bass boat, Humminbird SI 997, MinnKota Maxxum pro trolling motor, twin live wells, 175 Evinrude, $120.00 St Croix rods and fancy schmancy reels, tackle boxes with 4000 crappie plastics in each of them.

We're fishing the brush , (water's 62 degrees so the crappie are supposed to be in the brush on the banks in 1-2 fow, right) just barely enough weight on to cast the microlight bobber with a plastic and jighead.

We each have one in the boat after about two hours.

We round a bend into a shallow bay, maybe 32-36 inches of water. Flat, no structure, no brush, no cribs, nothin. Here's three "good ole boys" standing in water up to their butts holding a pole that's about 10 ft long with a little tiny spin cast reel on it. They have about 18-24" of line hanging down from the pole with a tube jig in it. They'd set that tube jig down and hold it with about 6-10 inches of line between the pole and the water. They'd hold for about 30 seconds then they'd shake the heck out of it and then just hold still again. If they didn't get a fish, they'd pick it up, swing over about 5 ft and do it again. In the next hour while we were within sight, they probably caught 30 nice sized (12" or so) while my buddy and I caught ..........................none! And they went right through the areas we had already fished.

So, if I ever go back to KY Lake, I'll have my waders and a 10' Wally Marshall crappie rod with a tiny spincast reel on it!!! And I'll save a ton of money on gas in the boat!! What I DON'T spend in gas will pay for a set of neoprene wader, crappie rod and reel, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a whole bunch of plastic!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
dnc, Put your drift sock on the front hook of your boat and troll with your big motor. I have a 175 merc w/ three bladed SS prop and call get to down to .8-1 mph, without it I'm @ 2.8-3. It works really good for my boat, which is a bass boat too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
drift socoat will turnks

Augman,
Do you have any trouble steering your boat with the drift sock out in the front. Mine pulls so hard hooked in the back that whichever side I have it tied to is the only way the boat will turn.

·
Registered
216 Posts
all I've got are two big socks. I don't like using them anyway, so I guess if I want to go slower than 2.7, I'll just use the trolling motor.

Hey, anybody know where the plate sized bluegills hang out on Heidi ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
For me the right speed is when the the tip twitches just right. :-D Those speeds sound good.Heath does troll fast.Good results though.Only a rap can go 4mph :-?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anybody know if Heidecke was open today?

I thought about calling Greybeard's Bait shop but got busy, nappy, drunk, lazy, laid, sidetracked, rearended.......something made me forget.

The wind look pretty high for the next coupla days.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I fished heidecke on Wednesday. Started fishing on the north side from shore throwing some jigs. I didnt get a hit. I decided to throw on some chicken liver on the bottom. I landed five stripers, lost one at the shore and missed numerous hits. Would of had more if I hadn't used old chicken livers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I thought with the front moving in, they might have cranked up this afternoon.

What did you catch, stripers?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts