ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just went out with the biologist today on Heid to check the nets for their musky survey. They netted 16 fish today, (this is day 2, or day 3 so far of the study) and they have not caught the same fish twice.

The largest fish they sampled today was 46", but he said a lot of the fish they caught were 40-41".

I have never fished Heidecke before, but im going gonna hit it with a buddy of mine, at the end of May right after we get back from our trip to Webster to chase around some toothy critters. Anyone willing to offer up any pointers on how to even get started out there for an ethical, semi-experienced musky fisherman??

PM me please!

·
Registered
83 Posts
In the last 3 years I have landed two musky at Heidecke and lost another (all on small lures such as Husky Jerk 10s and RS4 or 5). These were ~ 18# and 6.5#. I also lost a bigger one (est. 20#) at the net when HJ 10 snagged on the net opening. I believe they respond better to small lures than big ones. I catch them while fishing for smallmouth and walleyes, along with some good sized hybrid stripers in the 4 to 7# range.

·
Registered
343 Posts
h

Nice post Yak,intresting.Seems like catching Heidecke muskies a tuff nut to crack.They can probably feast on all the 12" shad they want.I think most like bb saiid most are caught fishing for other species.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.