ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't fish but stood by for an hour talking to guys coming off the lake.
Everyone said the same water too cold 44-48 No luck

Steve @ Graybeards ( baitshop at the lake) says nobody is catching walleye maybe 1 a day he's heard about a couple of Muskie but no real size. Give the lake a week of todays weather and it will pick up. Remember 4-19 is a muskie tourny with 75 boats so ramp will be busy.
Try the Kank, walleye will be going to spawn soon, females are starting to get caught.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Area 9 off of Rte.113 but last I looked the state had not cleaned the ramp yet. Otherwise birdpark in Kankakee is a very good section

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check your bearings!!

Or this may be what you will be looking at too.

I had changed the grease in mine at the beginning of March as we were headed to Pool 4 for the weekend. Problem was, I changed the grease and cleaned the hub, but I didn't look closely at the bearing to see if it had pitting or corrosion in it. Don't know what happened, just saw sparks flying all over the place in the middle of I-55 south construction zone.

Luckily found the tire, wheel and hub. Brand new tires last fall, now one of them is junk, got sliced by the fender exiting the axle.

So, clean them, INSPECT them, re-grease them and hopefully, you'll never have this situation.

It even ground the ubolts off that hold the axle to the springs!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
[IMG]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/dncncwboy56/Pas

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Re: Check your bearings!!

dncncwboy56 said:
Or this may be what you will be looking at too.

I had changed the grease in mine at the beginning of March as we were headed to Pool 4 for the weekend. Problem was, I changed the grease and cleaned the hub, but I didn't look closely at the bearing to see if it had pitting or corrosion in it. Don't know what happened, just saw sparks flying all over the place in the middle of I-55 south construction zone.

Luckily found the tire, wheel and hub. Brand new tires last fall, now one of them is junk, got sliced by the fender exiting the axle.

So, clean them, INSPECT them, re-grease them and hopefully, you'll never have this situation.

It even ground the ubolts off that hold the axle to the springs!!

dncncwboy56: This morning on I-55 you passed Augman69 and I. Next thing I know, Augie said he saw sparks in front of us as you pulled off to the shoulder. I was hoping you had your rig far enough off the highway because the shoulder is so damn narrow there. Sorry for your trouble and I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Backtroller, Bird Park is a good bet for Kankakee walleyes. Fish the bridges. Right now with the river up you can work your way to the dam.
If you don't mind bankfishing and crowds, the dam fishing is on now.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Snagged two big carp today on heideke. yesterday fished lasalle, 5 cats and 4 bass. On lasalle, seen an empty trailer with the axle missing. Someone else had issues. On heideke, I seen a big 20' pleasure boat have it's tow strap break today and it ended up on the pavement. Then they dry wenched it back on and it broke again and landed on the outdrive. They finally got it back on but I would not want to look at that boat too close. OUCH!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Trailer troubles

Hey, Fonzie,

When I came back to the truck with the wheel, I saw how far out in the road I was and I pulled it over between the construction barriers in the center.

Definitely would have gotten clipped if I'd stayed where it was. Couldn't go farther to the right or else the axle would've been draggin in the dirt down the hill. There was no shoulder there at all.

Actually glad it happened now because next Saturday I'm off for a week of crappie fishing on Kentucky Lake. It would have ruined the trip for us. Silver lining to every black cloud!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Damn Merv, that really sucks. Hope you get everything back in line before your trip.

I was out Saturday afternoon trolling boards and went 0 for 1. Once nice fish on the inside board over in the NW corner, but it gone before the rod was out of the holder. Also had another good rip in the NE corner but found a big carp scale on the treble when I pulled the line. Mostly tried SR5's and 7's, but the one good rip (which may as well been another carp) was on a JD Turbo Crank. Water temps on the North side ranged from 45 to 49 by the end of the day. Talked to quite a few people at the ramp and on the water and heard the same reports, slow.....nothing biting. Hats off to Chicago Enforcer who seems to be about the only guy to put any fish in the boat there this year. Can't wait for the water to warm up some more and try it again :)2

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks Matt.

Sorry about no fish, but we all know the Heid is tough, especially in cold water. A few more degrees, she'll turn on.

I got the boat home and now I have all the parts I need to fix it. I'll get to it later this afternoon. I'm not taking any chances, I'm replacing the other bearing too. Once was fun enough for me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey Merv,

We also spotted you on our way down to Evergreen Lake. Thought about how much that had to of sucked for the guy. Spend enough time hitting the water and something is bound to happen to all of us.

As far as Heid, went out for a few hours Fri, Sat and Sun. Fri was on boat, Sat and Sun from shore. Friday we managed one snagged carp. Saturday managed one snagged carp. Sunday managed one snagged carp. Anybody seeing a trend here??? :-D

Talked to a few peeps on the shore and there were some fish caught using live bait, but most reported "not even a bite". Me thinks my footprints won't be seen out there again till May.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Heidi

Yeah, the water is cold.

I talked to shore people the other day and cut bait on the bottom was working well with minnows a slow second.

So, it looks like after I get back from Ky Lake on the 19th before I hit it again. Should be a few degrees warmer then.

Good luck to you wherever you go fishing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check your bearings!!

Well, finally got the right side fixed so I moved to check the left side. Good thing because here is what I found. How many more miles do you think that bearing had in it?

I also checked the brakes since I had everything off. Both of the brake pistons were rusted tight so I haven't had any brakes on this rig since I bought it. The guy I bought it from said he had never had a problem with it and had maintained it to perfection. Guess his idea of perfection and mine differ widely.

I just wound up replacing the Power pack and a coil on the motor, one graph, two hubs with brakes, one brake drum and two bearing sets. Doesn't seem like he maintained too well, huh?

After I get the tire replaced tomorrow I'll be good as new and ready to go. I canceled my trip to Ky. Lake because the weather ain't looking so hot. Anybody want to try for the 19th of April?

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
What a headache :( .
At least when it's all said and done, you'll have confidence in your trailer.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
After going through all that you better have your net ready because I think a very big fish is in your future.. lol

or at least a nice day at the lake :-D

·
Registered
216 Posts
I certainly hope you're right!

·
Registered
13 Posts
dncncwboy56
whear were you staying at in Ky Lake ? I'm leaving on the 20th with four other guys and were staying at a cottage in Aurora . This part of the lake is feed by Jonathan Creek. This year it sounds like the water is going to be up quite a bit compared to what it usualy is when were there .

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was going to stay at the Pleasantview resort, down on West Sandy Creek. canceled because of the weather and water height.

Last year we stayed at Cozy Cove and fished the Jonathon Creek area some. We had a guide and we fished just outside of Jonathan creek. At the confluence of the creek and the river, on the north side there is a buoy. He parked us just north of the buoy and we were casting up on that flat towards the point. Caught a few there but we had a cold front on us and it was tough fishing that whole week. Wednesday we had a terrific snowstorm and the next day torrential rains and tornado warnings!!

We pulled out a coupla days early. Even with the guide, and three of us, we only caught 25 fish that day. The next with another guide, even less.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts