ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard on the Radio "The fishing line and outdoor show" the other night that the spillway is completed and water level should be at normal pool April 1 according to Rob Miller. Hope this is true because 2 days earlier when my son called the Gooselake nature center out their they didnt even know if the spillway was done or not and the voice recording said that 1 ramp was open and it was launch at your own risk-the same as it was during duck hunting. They also told my son that they were hoping to know by 4 pm Monday what was happening since this is a Exelon driven project and not a DNR project. Does anyone really know anything?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
My friend that i fish with took a drive over there 2 weeks ago and said it still looked low but it was frozen. cant wait till April even though it is not a cooling lake anymore and fishing dont turn on till may now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can anybody update me as to why the spillway was put in at Heidecke.I know when the water was high , boats had a hard time getting under the bridge to fish the other side......was this done so it would control the water level, so that more boats could fish the other side?
I am looking forward to the opening week!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they put it in so the lake will automaticly drain down when it gets to high . I don't think it has anything to do with getting boats under the bridge.
I'd like to see them move the booy lines closer to the plant or take them out completly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok -Great ....then hopefully more boats will get to fish the other side ! I agree with you about the buoy lines too...with the plant no longer operational ...there is probably no need for them any more...I think they were used so boats wouldn`t get too close to the intake and outake pipes...so it would make sense to remove them, does anyone know what purpose if any they serve now?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the reason for installing a (lower) spillway is money. It costs money to pump down the lake and maintain a pump (the main pump failed not too long ago, as you recall the high water in 2006). The problem I foresee is that I doubt we lost any big fish through the pump. But fish, particularly musky, will sense current flow and follow water over the spillway when there is heavy overflow. I hope a top-dike net system and its maintenance are figured into this project. Maybe some of those living near and/or frequenting this lake can help clean and maintain a net if they put one in. I hope so.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the water level will remain constant. I doubt if the power plant co. cares if anyone can get a boat under the bridge or not, or even if they remove the bouys. The pump was put out of comission when they started to dismantle the plant, thats why the high water of 06. The pumps worked both ways , to drain the lake and fill the lake when water was needed , from the river. Tipacal responce from park DNR as to no clue what was done in their own park, that they go to work in every day, and no one had the forsite to even see what was being done or what was done :roll: DUH

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I hope they put a barrier in. All the places with spillways lose fish. Look at Shabbona they have to do musky rescues every once in awhile. Hope they know what there doing. Scary.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Know what they are doing ? Your talking about the Ill. DNR..... kind of like military inteligance , an oxy moron ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
If this spillway is an Excelon project and has nothing to do with the DNR then this could go very bad. If the spillway keeps the water level from getting too high, what will keep it from gettting too low. Because they are not running the plant, Excelon probably doesn't care if the ramps are unuseable due to low water. Heavy spring rains=musky in K3, Desplains, and IL rivers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If muskies are not native to the Illinois river then I think we should be watching this very closely. We already have an invasive species problem. We don't need to add muskies to the list.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe this is Excelon and the IL DNR`s way to try to solve the Asian Carp in the IL river............by letting the Muskies get into the river...I hope not!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts