ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished this morning, trolled Hot n'tots,walley divers, rapala j-11's & rattling fat raps. Worked blade baits on drop offs on north side, nothing. Only caught one fish, a small striper 14" on a crank. Used lindy rigs w/ minnows no hits at all, trolled north side shorelines & humps. Warmest water I found on the north side was 47, cool side around 44. Nobody was slaying them!
Before the gate opened there were around 17 boats lined up. It was quite comical watching most of the guys running from their vehicles to boats & from their cars from the lot back to the ramp. I thought they were going to close the lake at 7:00 a.m. based on how those guys were running!

G

·
Got to Heideke at 6:30 1 boat in front of me at launch. Casted on the north side for 2hrs,did not pick up a fish,then I trolled north side with shad rap and got a 20 inch striper. The lake was not as productive as I thought it would be.I guess I cant complain at least the lake is open. Anybody have any tips for early season Heideke?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, go to Braidwood or LaSalle and find warmer water.

Just kidding. I have never had good early season luck at Heideke. It would probably be worthwhile to book a guide like Geno or Greg Heath to show you the ropes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
remember heideke is just like any other lake in the early spring,there is no warm water as lasalle and braidwood,wont be warm water till they turn the plant on .try slow stuff,go with live bait,fish are cold and thus pretty in active,most will not chase a trolled lure,work the rip rap with a jig and minnow ,rocks warm up with the sun.try the natural shoreline for some of those oh so special heideke muskies,once the water starts to warm,and the shad begin to spawn things will heat up nice ,just as they do every year.try working close to the buoy line on the south side,walleye should be doin there mock spawn soon,like to stage back there.im sure the dnr have there nets back there already....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts