ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to catch helgrammites, and when are they around? I've bought them from the bait shop before and they were awesome for smallies, but they were very expensive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What's more important in life; time or money? If you got the time get a net and go find them. How expensive were they and where did you buy them? I once spent an hour with a net, caught 1 helgie, made 2 casts with the helgie and caught 2 smallies. Spent another hour with the net and caught nothing. Bottom line- 2 hours, 2 smallies and a very sore back. I would have paid big $$$ to have a bucket of helgies. I still catch my own because I enjoy looking at the variety of things you catch. Advice:Much easier with two people,find a shallow area with a slow to moderate current, anchor the bottom with rocks, Prop the tops with sticks, walk up current and turn over every rock you can find.
Make sure the current is strong enough to force evrything to stay in the net. Carefully scoop out the net and Wallah, lots of little critters. Good luck and good ethics, don't abuse the same areas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
good for you boss! It is about time we start talking about ethics within our sport. It is sadly lacking and burns my biscuits to no end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gilpopper,
Don't get me started. It's ridiculous to think that people can be that ignorant, stupid, and selfish. I don't want to stereotype, bvut it is usually the uneducated who abusae the system (the naturalenviroment system). I didn't want to respond to an anonymous poster, I never do, but the advice I gave was relatively harmless, if not somewhat educational (I am a teacher). Good luck and let's all take care of my favorite river and creek.
Mr. Ross

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't be so paranoid! All I wanted to do was learn how to catch a few stupid larvae! Geez!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just tip over rocks that lay flat on the edge of the current and pick the helgies up. They usually hold on to the rock. These are the hands down best bait for smallies.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Anonyous
Don't be so paranoid! All I wanted to do was learn how to catch a few stupid larvae! Geez!
I think some conservationalist comments now and then is a very good thing. Too many people abuse our natural resources (river & creek). Nothing wrong with Educational comments. Nothing at all.

If it were me, I'd just be greatful that someone shared something of value with me.

Razzo

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
"conservationalist"

Let's see..
Environmentalist
Conservationist
"Conservationalist"
Works for me! I'll take the hat AND the t-shirt!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anonymous,
Nothing beats real hellgrammites for smallmouth, but there is a soft plastic imitation that comes awfully close, and is worth a look. Theyre called "Case Hellgrammites" made by a company in Virginia. They look exactly like the real ones, and are a heck of alot cheaper. Try calling 434/374-0335 or better yet, go online to www. madtoms.com to get a closer look at these baits. They should work nearly as well as the real ones, especially on the Kankakee. Check em out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bassman on 2002-04-28 16:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
190 Posts
BIG ROSS:

MADTOMS ARE WHAT SOME OF THE LOCALS CALL "MOLLIES" OR VERY SMALL YELLOW-BELLY LOOKING CATFISH.VERY ABUNDANTLY FOUND IN THE IROQUOIS RIVER. TRUE STORY: I CAUGHT A SIX POUND WALLEYE IN THE IROQUOIS ON MY NIGHT LINE(TROTLINING FOR EATER CATS) HE STILL HAD THE MOLLY THAT HOOKED ITSELF ON THE BIG STAINLESS STEEL HOOK IN ITS MOUTH---NO BULLSHNIT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts