ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I recently relocated here from FL and prior to that CA. I have a lot of expereince with ocean fishing but have none for lake (shoreline) fishing. I live in Wadsworth and am looking into fishing in the Waukegan area.

I have a couple of questions as to what type of gear you are using from the shoreline (Spinners or Baitcasters). I enjoy throwing lures and artificial swimbaits and was curious as to what are the "hot" lures for the lake? Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Look for breakwalls and rip rap shorelines and pitch out Goby immitation jigs up and down the walls, never out. The Browns and Smallies like to stay right near the breakwalls and feast on Goby's. The ideal water temp is between 60-70 degrees which wont be for a little bit yet but it still could work right now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
From the piers in Waukegan you can hit browns, coho, steelhead and kings. Deep diving cranks and spoons are the ticket. If you stop in at the salmon stop on 120 near sheridan (their ad is on the side of the page), then can get you set up with all the necessary lures and info for fishing waukegan, and maybe kenosha if you want.

Marty

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Welcome to the site Waruibozu. Definitely go to the Salmon Shop and talk with the folks there. They'll hook you up. As far as the "hot" harbors are concerned, Waukegan and Kenosha have both been the place to be on any given day. Montrose, Belmont, Diversey and others can be productive as well. It's sometimes a personal preference thing. Water temps and water clarity are crucial at this time of the year. Current temps are 34-37 degrees near the surface. Water clarity in the city harbors is 4-6 ft. In Waukegan it's a little less. As of this week thursday Kenosha was about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I was at Kenosha thursday and we did well with golden roaches 3-6 ft under a slip bobber, and caught a couple fish on a spoon and minnow imitation lure. Things will only get better until the water temps begin to rise. At about 55ish degrees the perch start to kick in and trout and salmon in or near the harbors tapers off as the fish move out to deeper cooler, and more oxegenated waters. That's usually May thru end of June and then again in the fall. There's also an excellent smallmouth fishery but I do not target them. Enjoy, don't forget to buy that license AND great lakes trout stamp and good fishing.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Waruibouz,
Welcome!!!

As the fellas said, stop on in the shop, I can give you the scoop on what's working and the best way to rig. Very simple and not real expensive!

Be sure to tell me who you are so I can do my best to put a name with a face!

See ya soon,
Lori

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
A couple of 'DUNKIN DONUT's" (chocolate covered cake) also does wonders for -?- I know that some one on this thread has a fetish for'em ;)

Nothing better than wandering around & munchin on a donut while adding a lure or 4 to your collection, or other neat gizmo's that they got. :)2

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Nikster,
I have changed my snack of choice to any Dunkin Donuts muffins, but any snack is always appreciated!!!

See ya this summer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fishhog said:
Waruibouz,
Welcome!!!

As the fellas said, stop on in the shop, I can give you the scoop on what's working and the best way to rig. Very simple and not real expensive!

Be sure to tell me who you are so I can do my best to put a name with a face!

See ya soon,
Lori
Hi Lori, I am planning to stop by your shop on Tuesday

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
big saw said:
Welcome to the site Waruibozu. Definitely go to the Salmon Shop and talk with the folks there. They'll hook you up. As far as the "hot" harbors are concerned, Waukegan and Kenosha have both been the place to be on any given day. Montrose, Belmont, Diversey and others can be productive as well. It's sometimes a personal preference thing. Water temps and water clarity are crucial at this time of the year. Current temps are 34-37 degrees near the surface. Water clarity in the city harbors is 4-6 ft. In Waukegan it's a little less. As of this week thursday Kenosha was about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I was at Kenosha thursday and we did well with golden roaches 3-6 ft under a slip bobber, and caught a couple fish on a spoon and minnow imitation lure. Things will only get better until the water temps begin to rise. At about 55ish degrees the perch start to kick in and trout and salmon in or near the harbors tapers off as the fish move out to deeper cooler, and more oxegenated waters. That's usually May thru end of June and then again in the fall. There's also an excellent smallmouth fishery but I do not target them. Enjoy, don't forget to buy that license AND great lakes trout stamp and good fishing.

Thanks for all the pointers, I plan on picking up my license and some tackle on Tuesday when I stop by the Salmon shop. Looking forward to doing some fishing soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts