ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might work

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer, and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.19 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days !!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Keep it going!!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
This has been passed around for over 3/4 years. But if someone came up with a grand slam idea, well then I'd go for it,

IT WON'T WORK,

NEVER HAS,

& NEVER WILL,

EXXON is making BIG $$$$$$ for it's stock holders & all the rest. In England PETROL is selling for (conversion) $ 5.75 a GALLON.

Excuse me I have to go to COSTCO ($3.12), Lake Zurich & fill up my Durango that gets 14/16mpg.. When IZ tows the tub around it drops to 10/11mpg.. :eek:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
How would you know if you are buy Exxon gas or not? I buy at an non-brand gas station. I have no idea if it's Exxon, BP, or whatever. Most likely some times it's Exxon, sometimes it's BP, ...

Gasoline is a commodity that is bought and traded on the world market. I'm not sure of the arrangements with the dealers, but my guess is that Exxon simply sells them the gasoline. If we put a pinch on the dealers, Exxon would simply sell a larger fraction of their gasoline to commodity traders, which would then sell it to China or somewhere else. Exxon would get virtually the same price because we would be buying exactly the same number of gallons of gasoline per year because demand is basically miles driven per year divided by average mpg. Drive less or get more mpg's. That's your choices and you also need everybody else in the world to go along with it.

California has pretty good info about gasoline prices.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/gasoline_q-and-a.html

This gives a breakdown of the cost of a gallon of gas in CA. It shows that the fluctuation is primarily driven by crude oil prices, which have skyrocketted over the last couple years.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/margins/index.html

There is also a big misconception. Everybody knows that prices always rise on average. Gasoline is not out of line with what one would expect. I believe the collapse of the Soviet Union and it's economy caused a stagnet price for gasoline, but now with China, India, etc. growing it's back to normal.

Demand for oil is growing and projected to keep growing. That is why oil prices are rising. Along with a falling value for the dollar.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Spinnerman-

You are right. The majority of smaller gas stations purchase their petrol from either BP or Exxon. They are the big drillers and biggest players. I knew a gas station owner at Diversey and Damen a few years back. He showed me his receipts of bulk gas that he purchased and it was from BP - even though he was a mom and pop facility. He charged less than the same gas was sold for at the branded BP or Amoco facilities. I, as a rule, don't usually use BP or Exxon station because their gas is always a few cents more expensive....it seems to me that you are just paying more for the same product due to name recognition.

N

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
A couple things:
1) One of the main reason oil prices are so high right now is because of our failing economy due to housing. And due to our falling dollar compared to the Euro, it has made people invest in oil. Inventories are high and do not support this high price but the demand is there from speculative investors.
2) Don't compare the price of our gas with Europe's. The main reason their's is so high is because they tax it and then pay for public transportation and health care.
3) Instead of boycotting a company, try to reduce your consumption. Carpool, stop making unnecessary trips, and use public transportation when possible.

Random thoughts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
even if it does nothing it may make me feel better it is like kicking something when your mad if all it does is make me feel better than all is good

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hey Bigtime,

I feel your pain. What really gets me is when these oil companies post billion dollar profits in a quarter and then tell us that there is no gouging. It used to really piss me off but now I handle it a little better. I've been expecting this and putting money on the side for big gasoline bills so that my plans won't change. I might even pick up some extra work just so I can easily full up the truck and not feel too guilty when I'm on the next trip. Good fishing.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Guys, the oil companies have been investigated a million times. Every politician and prosecuter in the U.S. would love to catch them cheating.

They have the largest profits because they are the biggest companies. You expect some Mom & Pop shop to have the record profits. How about your salary? Isn't each year generally a new record because you get a small raise? Everything trends up over time. If it worked perfectly, every year would be a new record.

Their profits are inline with every other industry. If they were too high, then investors would invest more money to make the great profits. If they are too low, then the investors will move their money into other industries. Keep this in mind when Hillary says she is going to take their profits. If there is less profit in selling gasoline, do you think there will be A) more gasoline available or B) less gasoline available. For all the top students who picked B, you are correct. Now if the gasoline supply is reduced, will the prices A) rise or B) fall. That's correct. They will rise. This is how emotional responses lead to the exact opposite effect that is desired.

If you want to reduce gasoline prices, you need to increase world wide supply relative to world wide demand. Less drilling , more regulation, higher taxes, etc. all drive gasoline prices up.

You want to stabilize gas prices in Chicago. We need to get rid of all these stupid summer blends that can only be sold in specific regions. There will be a huge jump when we have to switch to summer blend. There is simply no reason we shouldn't be able to buy Atlanta or California gas here in Chicago.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Spinnerman, you are right on. Supply & demand control the price. Bigtime's idea does nothing to reduce the demand but will certainly screw all the thousands of small bussiness owners who own Exxon or Mobil stations while having very little impact on the big corporations.. And last I looked, this was a country built on ecconomic opportunity. Kill big bussiness's oportunity to make money and you'll drive more investment overseas, loosing mopre jobs and the price will go up as more oil & and gas needs to be imported. We complain about the price of a gallon of gas while we pay a dollar or more for a bottle of water or $3.00 to $7.00 for a glass of beer at the ball park or sporting event. The oil companies proffits are not out of line with any other major manufacturing company's proffits. The only way to bring the price of gas down ids to reduce consumption (demand). You don't have to like it, but what spinnerman says is the basic truth, no getting around it. Start havng the goverment control proffits on the opil companies and you will pay more for gas not less.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Exon has reported some of the highest quarterly profits EVER this decade. They keep breaking their quarterly and yearly records. I'd love to find some inflation-adjusted comparisons. I don't know what the solution is but they are running their business in a way that maximizes their profits at our expense. For example- it took a law to require the oil companies to put ethanol in our gas. Why? They don't make as much money selling ethanol. I got so "urinated" off that I stopped reading the article.

And to say that supply and demand is causing these high prices is misleading. Demand has caused the price to rise however the supply is high also. Many investors are buying oil since it is a good hedge against our falling stocks and the fear of a recession. This, combined with the onset of the spring/summer gas demands and the higher than average winter prices, has caused these high prices. And wait till we switch to the summer blend!! We'll be puching $4 a gallon by May. Many analysts say that prices will stabilize since the high prices will cause less consumption which will drive down prices. I hope they are right. And I agree- drill, drill, drill!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
My only question is ; When oil prices go up gas IMMEDIATELY goes up. I'm still buying the old gas that was at the lower price right ? When oil prices go down it takes months for gas prices to go down. What's wrong with that picture ? It stinks but it's WAY better than trolling with oars !

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Someone mentioned the rate of growth in China, and it is also as bad in India. At the current growth rate in some of these countries, it's no doubt the demand is growing, and driving the price way up. :evil:

We are all crying about price, but at least there is still fuel available. And, compared to the prices paid else where in the world, we have it made. For how long though? :roll:

This will not only wake you up, it might blow your mind! It sure puts some issues in perspective! :eek:

Copy and paste this to your browser and check it out!

www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/shifthappens

·
Registered
93 Posts
there are those in this country who are here illegaly who love to drive those big SUV'S........how much gas would be saved there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The sad part:Even if they find an alterative to oil energy they'll still gouge us when they find the new alternative.........it's all about the $$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
The whole reason the oil prices are skyrocketing is the devaluation of the US dollar. Listening to the noon business report on maq the other day, they had a futures expert on there who said that supplies are up for oil, and demand is shrinking. There is really no need or logic to the high prices. BUT, the housing mess has caused the fed to drop interest rates. The rest of the world didnt. That makes the dollar worth alot less. Other countries are trading their dollars in for euros, more US dollars are then floating around, they are worth less. So, gas is bought and sold in US dollars. It costs more cause the dollar isnt worth as much. Its like us going to mexico and buying all sorts of stuff there for half the cost cause our dollar is worth more than their currency. Same thing with oil. The lower value of the dollar makes buying oil in US dollars very profitable to the countries whos currency is worth much more. More demand to buy oil, its cost goes up.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Ejoe said:
There is really no need or logic to the high prices.
I've heard that a few times and it's the speculators. If that's true, and I'm highly skeptical, then at some point the price will collapse and the speculators will go bust. Basically, they are saying there is a bubble in oil prices like the internet stocks or more recently the housing market. Is there a bubble? I don't know, but it doesn't look like oil is wildly overpriced. However, it's possible and then when the bubble bursts we will underpay for gasoline for a while. It all evens out in the long run. At least as long as the government doesn't "help" too much. I'm too young to remember all the help we got with gasoline in the 70's, but I've heard rumors of rationing and lines at the pump. We definitely don't want that again. It doesn't matter how low the price is if there is nothing to buy.

The weak dollar is definitely part of it as well.

firstcast said:
it's all about the $$$$$$$$.
I hope so. Me, probably you, and just about everybody has a large chunk of their retirement money in Exxon. Where do you think they invest your pension money? So when you go to sell your house, your going to say that's OK I paid only half that for the house. I know your willing to pay more, but I'll give it to you at a big discount because I'm not all about the money. No boss, I don't want that big of a raise, because I'm not all about the money.

If you follow the law, you should try to make as much as possible, that's the only way it works. How else could it possibly work? Exxon offers their gas at a discount, a middle man comes in and buys it all up, and then sells it at the higher price to the consumers. That's all that would happen if Exxon wasn't all about the money. Some guy would jump up and take the free money sitting on the table.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes,Spinnerman,thats how it works. The oil companies are in business to make a profit. That dosen't mean I should be happy about higher oil prices. If we,as consumers,stay quite and dont speakout,the oil companies will be more than happy to monopolize your pocketbook. I know it's about economics,but if your happy about $4.00/gal. that's up to you. I would like to keep $$ in my pocket,that's what I mean ....it's all about the $$$...they try to get thiers, I try to get mine. Good or bad that's just the way it is. :-D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Spinnerman, you are right on top of the problem. But it's just to easy to blame the boogeyman "Big Oil"

Ethenol? That is a bone thrown to the farm states, Illinois included. Ethenol in your tank will decrease mileage by 30%. Ethenol is also much more destructive to the engine's insides. (sorry for the simplification, but I'm not a gear-head).
And with the government now subsidizing farmers to grow corn for fuel, corn for food is becoming much more expensive. Farmers are selling their corn for fuel, and switching from other crops to grow corn. So, you see all the recent news stories about the sudden surge in prices of grains, meats, milk, et.

Supply and demand. It's as simple as that.

Wanna solve the problem ? Drill for more oil.
China and Mexico have begun drilling within sight of the Florida coast. Why? There are oil reserves there to rival the Saudi's. But we are not allowed to.
The artic holds equally impressive deposits, but again, we cannot drill.

Now ask yourself, where is the sense in that ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts