ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emabarassed to even write this, but I need some tips on fishing the Fox. I consider myself a decent fisherman, but I can't win on the Fox. I've only been out here a few months. I live closest to the Aurora dam, but have also fished Yorkville and Montgomery. It seems like I'm only catching snags. Some questions...are some spots better than others? I fish from shore. Do I need waders or a boat? What seems to be the best rig? I'm using a Lindy rig. Live bait only or has there ever been luck with synthetics? And where're all these walleyes I keep seeing everyone talking about? Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do not get dicouraged, the last few months have been tough, the weather has got most everything that swims kind of screwed up. All you need to do is to keep an eye on the boards, and talk to the guys at any of the bait shops(except Riverside in Geneva) if you are reading this, you have already found one of the best sources of info for fishing the Fox.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you see a big red older full size Blazer with a black soft top convertable, it means that I am not far away, if you need more help just let me know.I almost forgot, look for the Il sport fishing plates.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skeithr on 2002-04-27 07:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">Truckguy skeithr is right the weather has got things a little bit stirred ,one of the best things to do is get out as much as possible to even your odds,also look for spots that have eddies, slow moving bends,any kind of structure in the water on the down flow side(eddies)you'll find fish laid up in those riffles many times.Another thing know the species your going after,otherwise with live bait riggs (jigs tipped with crawlers,leaches,crawdads or minnows) will catch most spieces on the Fox.I know alot of guys here like to use plastics with jigs and thats another.Remember when the water is cold(45 deg or less)you need to slow down your retrieve or use live bait,also means you may have to move a bit more and get your bait in there zone.Remember fish get pretty lethargic when the water gets cold so you will have to find them or keep your bait in their zone.Another thing I have found to be true fishing the river and other places is this; when you have about 3-4 days of sunny high pressure weather(after rains)then another aproaching front or weather system definately get out and fish,the drop in barometric pressure will turn a feeding frenzy on like you wouldn't believe!Also true with game animals.Good luck.Bill D> </font>

·
Registered
268 Posts
The best way to learn the Fox is to wade it.
The best way to fish the Fox is sllooowwww. A jig and minnow works for most species. I've increased my hookups by counting up to four between 1/4 turns of my reel handle. (from 1200 to 0300, 1-2-3-4, from 0300 to 0600, 5-6-7-8, from 0600 to 0900, 9-10-11-12, and finally 13-14-15-16 back to 1200.) Try lifting your rod tip ever so slowly, polishing each nook and cranny. Drop the tip if you feel a tap, slowly raise your tip again, if you feel weight, set the hook, if there's a tap, set the hook. The fish are there. I've drag hooks across the backs of walleye and carp ending up with nothing but a single scale impaled on my hook.

Best O'Luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
The best way to learn the Fox is to wade it.
The best way to fish the Fox is sllooowwww. A jig and minnow works for most species. I've increased my hookups by counting up to four between 1/4 turns of my reel handle. (from 1200 to 0300, 1-2-3-4, from 0300 to 0600, 5-6-7-8, from 0600 to 0900, 9-10-11-12, and finally 13-14-15-16 back to 1200.) Try lifting your rod tip ever so slowly, polishing each nook and cranny. Drop the tip if you feel a tap, slowly raise your tip again, if you feel weight, set the hook, if there's a tap, set the hook. The fish are there. I've drag hooks across the backs of walleye and carp ending up with nothing but a single scale impaled on my hook.

Best O'Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.