ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished this? I never have but have heard a lot of conflicting reports by others that have. Any comments or advise would be great... Such as which pools, what to fish for, etc.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Lots of catfish all over.

I always liked to fish for crappies by the visitors center the weekend of the Kentucky Derby. Bass there too.

·
Registered
916 Posts
One of the better places to do that.

My Yaks are gone..... Long story.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have fished there a few times in my 16' mod V, which is a beater aluminum boat. I'd say 16' is about the biggest you could use and a jon boat would be great. I would not take a fiber glass boat or a boat I was worried about scratching out there. mostly its very shallow, alot of huge carp and cats. I had some good luck for bass between the vistor center east to the damn at the brides. there is tubes and at either side of the tubes got some good LMB 18-22". the locals look at you like your off your rocker when you tell them your after bass and your thowing them back. It is very peaceful and not crowded. never even seen another boat there just a couple people fishing from shore for cats. Check it out, its different. there is a campsite on Rt 6 w/ a ramp and you can pull your boat up on the bank and pitch a tent. Not many places in N. IL you can do that.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Or we can trade rides in yaks and 17 foot crappie killing machine.... Need to get the boat out. Still havent and the hen could be perfect in two weeks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Henn. is full of bass, you may think i'm crazy but I fish out of a 21' bass boat in the canal with ease. I fish mostly at the ramp right of of RT34 think it's lock 21? It's close to home and without starting the big motor it's cheap. I go there mostly on afternoons to pratice flippin and do some frog fishing. The biggest i've caught was 5-1/2lbs and i've seen days when you would get a blow up on topwater every 10 casts or so!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts