ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted to fish the canal. Going out to the area early May. Have no idea where to start? Any ideas? Don't want to go way out in the wilds, but far enough from populated areas to do well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you might want to try rt.40 + interstate 80
right south of the exit there is area,
Hennepin canal parkway, you can go east or
west from there. a bait shop is located on
rt.6 just south of 80,and runs parrellel to 80. the shop is on the west end of Princeton
called Willow B's you can get to the same
area on rt.6-- nice area, some dredging was done 2yrs. ago---good luck

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's been a while. Nice place to camp. Lock 14? Sounds close to where LIZRD suggested.
Carppie, Largemouth Bass, Walleye, Catfish, Carp & Bluegill. Saw a guy once with a stringer full of nice crappies and a 23" walleye.

Fishing seems to be very slow. In my opinion, there are better places to cacth fish; but, to get away from people and look for mushrooms you can't beat it.

Razzo

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
I did a tour of the lower end of hennepin canal about 3 years ago. pretty neat.
the streams around it look better for fishing though. Interesting folk live around it
some look out of deliverance movie cannibal hammers? it was the henry- tiskilwa-kewanee route. the dead shad got bigger the further west you went.
by the way my opinion is goode's is quite rip off but you decide. legend has it the
big feeder canal is place to fish. never caught anything the anglers I saw didn't either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts