ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently CPD had to shoot a cougar that was roaming around the city. While some guys are out paying top dollar to western guides for the privilege, some cops took down a mountain lion in a Chicago alley.

Here's the url of the suntimes article: "Cougar shot and killed in Roscoe Village alley"

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/8942 ... 08.article

Maybe some of the rural southwestern or northern illinois cougar sightings I've read about might actually be legit reports of wide ranging wild animals. But I wouldn't be surprised if this one was the fault of some idiot who had the bright idea of keeping a mountain lion as a pet or something.

My favorite part of the article is the following comment that some anonymous reader left on the website:

"They should have left the big cat alone so he could have eaten all the yuppies in RV. They do need to eat you know."

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I'm curious to see if this might be the same one that was spotted in Wilmete or if it just somebodies escaped pet. Way cool, but unfortunate it had to be put down.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
FishinMatt said:
Way cool, but unfortunate it had to be put down.

Totally agree, VERY UNFORTUNATE. A MAGNIFICENT animal.

But....... CPD took the necessary steps to stop a possible UGLY attack happen. No 2nd., guessing in my opinion.

Last year a neighbor's wife, saw something that seemed to be a BIG CAT in the woods bordering our property. :eek: :eek: But convinced it had to be a Golden Retriever or similar dog of a yellow color. They did not know of the recent sightings of that Big Cat that started in the Lake County area back in April/May07'. I never mentioned the sightings nor even brought it up so that no fuel would be added to her 2nd., guessing.
There were a few people in the North Mundelein & Western part that swear they saw a BIG YELLOW CAT, (which is only a few miles away) but was only dismissed & as speculation would have it, it was. Yea Right a Mountain Lion, :roll: what have you been drinking???????

So with the 1st., sighting in the Lake Delavan area in the Winter 07, & Mundelein area, all the way to the North Shore area, I hope it was the same kitty.

·
Registered
642 Posts
According to the Sun-Times today, it was a wild cougar. Only the 3rd confirmed in "modern" Illinois history (I'm not sure what modern is, but I'm guessing 1900?)

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I saw one myself in the early 90's in the Plano area. It was in plain sight on the edge of a small forest tract on a neighbors land. We also had some cattle killed in the area that year that was attributed to wild dogs at the time. A neighbor also reported large cat tracts on his land. At that time a wild cougar around here was even more of a myth then it has been recently so we were not taken seriously. I'll tell you one thing, when I locked eyes with that cat about 20-30 yards out, I about lost control of bodily functions. I really don't think the last cougar spotted was the only one in N. IL by any means. They have a large range and are probably mostly just passing through, but I think there will continue to be random sightings.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
trent said:
According to the Sun-Times today, it was a wild cougar. Only the 3rd confirmed in "modern" Illinois history (I'm not sure what modern is, but I'm guessing 1900?)
I read through a few other news sites that authorities are saying this cat was indeed a wild cougar.

That's a tough ending for this cat's odyssey, considering it probably traveled more than 1,000 miles to eat some italian beef and gino's pizza

and get this! there are reports of ANOTHER cougar!!!
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/8979 ... 08.article

cougar mania!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
They had on the news today there was another sighting in Willmet hmm could there be more. Its to bad that the tranquilizer therory wouldnt work. so they can put it back in the wild. Last year i was perch fishing in the early morning and i herd howling coming from northerly island

·
Registered
114 Posts
The frustrating portion of the story is when the cops said they had no choice but to shoot the mountain lion ... it snarled and acted aggressively toward them. What they didn't care to mention (though reporters wisely did) was that they surrounded and had the animal backed up against a fence. Under the circumstances, of course it is going to posture in a defensive way YOU _ _ _ _ _ _ _ IDIOTS!!

How many shots were fired at the cat? Ten? Eighteen? I wonder how many were called out to intercept the creature in the first place? I wonder if they take the same zeal in tracking down a stray ... one the many gangbangers overpopulating the city.

The sad part is that mountain lion attacks are rare, even in southern California where they are at times in close proximity to urban areas. They accentuated the few, isolated attacks that occured over the past twenty years and blew the animal's threat entirely out of proportion.

It is obvious this mountain lion was in the region for some time. The animal probably worked its way down from Wisconsin, the Des Plaines River, got sidetracked from the Chicago River or railroad tracks, where deer frequent, and ended up a few blocks east - in the morning shadow of Wrigley Field.

This entire area is overpopulated with deer, having no predators except vehicles and winter starvation; or occasionally, an exceptionally bold coyote or pair of coyotes, which usually weigh less than fifty pounds and are themselves recent arrivals from the West. Where I live, they actually have sharpshooters come in and trim the deer population to limit starvation and disease.

I know it's probably not fair, but this is another episode that leaves a bad CPD taste in my mouth. This is after they recently beat the milk out of a female bartender and tazed a man in a wheechair.

The animal was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I have to wonder why, in the 3rd largest city in America, they didn't have trained animal control experts in the area that could have taken care of the situation. After all, it was a 122 lb. cat, 3.5 ft. long. There are a lot of dogs running around larger than this.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
trent said:
Aprox., 10 years ago while Turkey hunting in Union Co., general talk (local folk) around the county, that a big cat that was spotted. Along the river it is such rugged country one would think you where out West.

I've hunted deer in Johnson Co. Vienna Il., (2 yrs.ago.) & local talk also was about BIG CATS being spotted up to last year. :eek: Just because a DNR or warden or ? doesn't confirm it with a body, or photo does NOT mean they are'nt around. They are more elusive than one would even begin to think. It was that area that the remains of 1 was found & thought to have been struck by a train.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Teetotalist said:
The animal was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I have to wonder why, in the 3rd largest city in America, they didn't have trained animal control experts in the area that could have taken care of the situation. After all, it was a 122 lb. cat, 3.5 ft. long. There are a lot of dogs running around larger than this.
Oh, I agree. They should have just asked the kitty to stay right were it was while they got a hold of Chicago's resident mountain lion expert. When he arrived he could have shot the cat with a tranquilizer dart, at which point he would have meekly layed his cute little head down and the situation would have been ended and we all would have lived happily ever after. :roll:
Yes, the cat was surrounded. You have a better idea? You ever have a staredown with a confused, deadly animal? You ever been in combat? It is completely unfair to sit in the safety of your home and criticize someones actions when their life is threatened. I'm guessing that anyone in that situation is going to start blasting if that cat even twitches. You couldn't give me enough bullets if I had to solve that problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
BFD said:
Teetotalist said:
Oh, I agree. They should have just asked the kitty to stay right were it was while they got a hold of Chicago's resident mountain lion expert. When he arrived he could have shot the cat with a tranquilizer dart, at which point he would have meekly layed his cute little head down and the situation would have been ended and we all would have lived happily ever after. :roll:
Yes, the cat was surrounded. You have a better idea? You ever have a staredown with a confused, deadly animal? You ever been in combat? It is completely unfair to sit in the safety of your home and criticize someones actions when their life is threatened. I'm guessing that anyone in that situation is going to start blasting if that cat even twitches. You couldn't give me enough bullets if I had to solve that problem.
What heavy artillery, volleys discharged with this post; it is at about the strength of the beer or coffee distributed in Salt Lake City! Or ... the hospitality of ILL residents north of Interstate 80.

It was obvious this cat was in the region for quite some time. As typed in the previous post, it likely went downstream with the Des Plaines, broke off and traveled down the Chicago River and wandered a few blocks east from its course and suddenly found itself in a strange habitat.

Be it through popular sentiment or merely out of laziness, you assumed this animal would strike a human being at the first opportunity. You either ignored or were (are) wholly ignorant of the OBVIOUS fact it occupied this region for several months. It was a young lion with a rich coat, well fed on deer, which it would follow down rivers and along railroad tracks. If it had humans on its mind would it not have made an attack earlier, during the dead of our notably LONG winter or in a more remote area where humans weren't so enclosed, protected by others?

I was NOT in combat you bone-through-the-nose FIB, yet I did live in Montana and New Mexico for far longer than a vacation; I know a hell of a lot more about these animals than you ever were interested in learning about ... until you read about them in the newspaper.

Once again I will remark how remarkable it is ... the number of police dispatched to surround and contain a young mountain lion. The amount of bullets fired to drop a 122 lb., 3.5 ft. animal. In other states, the presence of such a creature would merit care and excitement in a postitive way. A WILD mountain lion in Illinois is a remarkable event. I still find it difficult to believe this animal couldn't have been handled in a better way.

Of course it's going to snare and sweep its paws. You have it surrounded ... against a fence! An eight-pound, housecat cat would snarl and bare its claws. There are a lot of dogs larger than 122 lbs.

Last weekend ... how many people were shot in Chicago? How many died? Where is the zeal to go after these predators? :)3

·
Registered
407 Posts
We threaten cougars. Think about it

I rememeber the days when coyotees were just about or totally extinct in Illinois. Bald Eagles were almost extinct in the entire world. People have seen large badgers, river otters, armadillos, mountain lions, and other cats for years. These usually were pushed off of the front page and died down. Are cougars actually making thier own comeback, and that there could possibly be a breading population of them roaming the woods and river valleys of our Great Lakes and midwest? Why do people down by Ottowa, or Spring Valley report seeing huge beasts running along the rivers down there. Why did my sister take a picture of what she said looked like a pocupine, when when I looked at the picture, it looked like a hairy man-like creature with 10 fingers and 10 toes? Maybe it is a monkey? But, basically, we're seeing these things because we've built up as far as we can go, invading habitats of nature. Some things are making comebacks, despite our raping of the natural world's home ranges. I think cougars are probably all around the midwest, like are coyotees, like other things are. Oh darn, I hate seegulls and pigeons. They are dirty beasts. Time to start picking them off with my sling shot, because they are a threat to my vision. I don't want to see them so, I will now "hypothetically" eradicate thier species. :)41

·
Registered
407 Posts
Other sightings?

I know I have seen black squirrels, pure white deer, pure black deer, let's see what else? I believe there are badgers along the Des Plaines River valley. I've seen northern cardinals with no red or no color, just black and white a grey shades. Down at Lake Michigan, I recall seeing some things swimming, perhaps otters there. I used to hear of a fish up in Lake Geneva WI people called "lung" fish. They would come up to the surface and blast a huge shot of air, suck air in, and dive back down to the deepest part of the lake. Albino pigmentation is a "freak" of nature. There may be a small percentage of abinos in many species. I saw an albino brown bullhead caught at Tampier once. What about aligator snapping turtles versus plain old snapping turtles? They have backs that resemble alligators. Supposivly these are not supposed to occur around here, but I know I've seen and caught them. But, since I didn't kill it, publicize it, mount it, advertise it, and put it on the 5, 6, and 10 o-clock news, it didn't occur right? /siterock

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Again, I would of liked to see the cat tranq'd as much as anybody, but we are talking about a wild cougar in Chicago. The fairytale tranq theory may have happened in a region prepared for such an encounter, but if CPD was supposed to be prepared for a wild cougar lose on the northside in 2008, the yes, I guess they did drop the ball :roll: It does not matter where you are from or where you have lived, any alternatives besides what happened are armchair quarterbacking to the greatest extent. Lets just say they try to hold it or track it until the mystery cougar response team arrives. Lets just say the cat jumps a fence, runs down a few blocks, and runs into some children. The cat is out of its element and scared to death and mauls a kid. Heck, this could happen even after the animal is tranqed. The same people that cry about the cougar being shot are going to be the ones crying bloody murder that the cops did not take the cougar down.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
FishinMatt said:
Again, I would of liked to see the cat tranq'd as much as anybody, but we are talking about a wild cougar in Chicago. The fairytale tranq theory may have happened in a region prepared for such an encounter, but if CPD was supposed to be prepared for a wild cougar lose on the northside in 2008, the yes, I guess they did drop the ball :roll: It does not matter where you are from or where you have lived, any alternatives besides what happened are armchair quarterbacking to the greatest extent. Lets just say they try to hold it or track it until the mystery cougar response team arrives. Lets just say the cat jumps a fence, runs down a few blocks, and runs into some children. The cat is out of its element and scared to death and mauls a kid. Heck, this could happen even after the animal is tranqed. The same people that cry about the cougar being shot are going to be the ones crying bloody murder that the cops did not take the cougar down.
Matt - my sentiments exactly. How this turned from a wild animal in the City to the CPD royally screwing up is beyond me. And, you are correct that living in MN, NM or any other state does not make you an expert of anything...except possibly rural living.

Teet - glad you know the exact route that the cat used to get here. Next time they should call you and you can swing in from Lisle in your spare time to tranq the cat...and release it in Montana :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
My post is not to attack Teetotalist in any way. He has every right to his opinion and he constructs it well I'm just frustrated with some of the responses in general with this issue. The blame, blame, blame nature of society makes ME wish I lived in a rural part of Montana :p

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Matt - sorry if I inferred that you attacked Teet...that's why I made separate paragraphs.

The second paragraph is all me. I obviously disagree with his viewpoint but also suggested a possible solution for the next occurrence...so he can then take the brunt of the criticism.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
nodlikescod said:
Matt - sorry if I inferred that you attacked Teet...that's why I made separate paragraphs.

The second paragraph is all me. I obviously disagree with his viewpoint but also suggested a possible solution for the next occurrence...so he can then take the brunt of the criticism.
:-D Its all good Neil. I wanted to make my other post clearer as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I WORK for Chicago Animal Care and Control, as a field supervisor....so let an expert comment on this.

"Why didn't Animal Control use tranqs on the animal?"

People seem to have the impression that once a dart hits the animal, it falls over immediately. Let me clue you in on the pharmacology of anesthetic drugs. They can take between 10 minutes up to as long as an hour to take effect, depending on the animals size, state of activity and agitation, and its health. The drugs that we use, have two effects. It decreases muscle response, but more importantly, it decreases nerve impulses, and how the brain sends signals to the CNS. The animal, before it passes out, becomes disoriented and confused. We are trained to leave the animal alone, and do not attempt capture UNTIL it is completely out and asleep. Why? Because a sleepy and confused animal is EXTREMELY dangerous. I have had ACO's get bit by dogs because of this. Imagine this cougar being hit with a dart, and while some schmuck in the neighborhood moves in with a camera to take a picture (as some in the neighborhood WERE DOING THAT NIGHT!), he or she gets immediately attacked? Hmm...people don't think about that! FYI, Iwe had ACO's on scene that night....I was there personally for 3 hours in the morning looking for this animal...and we had people in the area with tranq gear.

"It could of been taken back to the wild?"

Where? These animals USED to be here in Illinois...back in the 1800's! Where are we supposed to take it?

"CPD was unjustified in shooting the cougar!"

Okay...so when it attacks one of the many little kids in that neighborhood, they would of gotten raped over it! There was an elementary school less then a block from where this animal was first sighted, and where it was shot that evening. Also, accoding to my people on scene, only 7 shots were fired in total....not the 20 that the media said. 6 shots were in the body of the cougar...I counted personally the next morning, when I examined the body.

What I would like to say is this....our jobs, as defined, is PUBLIC SAFETY! What pisses me off, is that pitbulls get shot in the city by cops on almost a daily basis, and NOTHING is said.....but some poor cougar gets it, and it becomes WWIII. We are still going to protect you, regardless of how much it pisses you off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts