ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Herrick

Hey there. I am a local fisherman that lives in Warrenville near Herrick lake, and I am also doing research for the University of Illinois. I need to interview anglers, but hate bothering people when they are fishing (I feel like a telemarketer intruding on someone's private time so I figure the internet might be less intrusive). There are really only two questions to the research. If you can answer these questions it would really help out the project which, among other things, has as its goal a furthering of respect for our local natural areas and the leisure activities we do at such places. The two basic questions are:

What are the main reasons you go to fish an area pond/lake like Herrick?
How did you learn to fish?

If you want to reply, you can post here or email me direct at
[email protected]
It might be neat to see a thread start so people can feed off of each others' responses...Thanks Again!! and good luck out there...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fish at places like Herrick Lake only because there are very few places to fish in the suburbs where you do not need a boat.

I started fishing when I was a baby and my dad taught me how. I am eternally grateful for that.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Fishing after a big rain

Checkers: I think most of us started fishing from our Dad's or brothers taking us out for pan fishing at the Chain of lakes, or rivers. Of course anyone willing to learn can start at a later age and providing they have a lot of patience. Getting into the big fishing of Largemouth and Northern come from experience with others showing the wheres and why fors. My late wife didn't do to much fishing until we got married. I showed her the technique of casting. It didn't take long where she could handle a bait casting reel as good as any guy, except the Pro's.. In fact she caught a bigger Northern Pike than I did. It was 42 inches long and about 20 pounds. I am surprised that more women don't pursue fishing. It may be that the guys don't have the patience to teach them. They make great fishing partners. As far as fishing Ponds etc with the price of Gas today, it is nice to fish at the ponds and only use a gallon and a half of Gas. As you can see from the reports on this site there are a lot of good size fish in the ponds. Those who live near the Fox River also have good fishing without spending a lot of money on gas. BTW if you have any other questions feel free to PM me or use this great site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks

Chuck--thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your response! I have actually been fishing local area lakes for about 8 years now--when we moved out by Herrick Lake. For me, it's about leisure, being out in nature, and the "thrill of the hunt" (even if it's only a crappie at the end of the line). How do you feel about eating the fish out of a lake like Herrick or the lakes at Blackwell? I think most people are C&R except when they stock the trout... I figure most people would rather be fishing up in the North Woods but most of us have to work...

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Eating fish out of Herrick lake

checkers: If you eat one fish here or there, I wouldn't worry about the effects. Someone posted about this recently on this site. If Herrick lake had a potential of being toxic, I am sure signs would be posted as not to eat fish from there. That goes the same for Blackwell. I have fished both lakes and the water looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have fished there out of convenience (big word!) but as far as "northwoods".......I'm heading to Kentucky....where the Bass grow big!!!! And my Dad started me fishing altho my Grandpa ran a charter out of Sausalito, Ca!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts