ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know the lakes very well at hidden lake. i also know the river for carp. i now want to know if there are smallies to be caught there in the dupage at hidden lake. Has any one had any luck there in the river? should i go to the really wide part? what does one use for bait there?

this is the east branch by the way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are you talking about hidden lakes in Bolingbrook? If you are I would head over to the west branch. The east branch from what I have seen is mostly mud bottom and doesnt have as many smallies as the west branch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are you talking about hidden lakes in Bolingbrook? If you are I would head over to the west branch. The east branch from what I have seen is mostly mud bottom and doesnt have as many smallies as the west branch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I usually fish the west branch but last fall i was working along the east branch in lisle right by the police station and i kept seeing schools of 8 to 12 smallmouth anywhere from 8 to 15 inches swimming up and down stream.there were also a ton of carp swimming around. i havent tried fishing the east branch yet but i think you will find a bunch in the there but they wont be as abundant as they are in the west branch.

if you are trying to figure out what to use my buddies and i will usually use a jig head that is 1/16 oz. and just a regular grub. we have a bunch of colors that we pick up to use. also zoom mini flukes are fun with no wieght. use the fluke like a zara spook and the smallmouth will just destroy them. with the fluke use a size 2 offset hook and set it up so it is weedless so you dont have to worry about all those long weeds and branches! if you try the east branch let me know cause i have been wanting to try it! good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im talking about hidden lake in glen ellyn (the dupage forest preserve), Macrack.

i think i definitly will try the east dupage for the smallies. i let you know how that goes CJL7983

·
Read Only
0 Posts
smallmouth at hidden

i fish those lakes almost exclusively you can find some in the small little river on the southern side of the bridge otherwise you might find some in the back lake also called eagle lake... caught 2 back there. i know it has some tubing that connects to the river underneath the small bike trail

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I fished the one in Glen Elyn 2 years ago. My friend gets the occasional bass in both lakes but nothing consistent. We hit it hard with jumbo leeches and got nothing but small panfish.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Look for rocks near current and some depth, rapala. 1/4oz white/chartruse spinnerbait has worked for me. Nothing much for size back there as far as I've seen for smallies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was wading back in that part of the river today and i saw about 3 dozen carp. some of which were gigantic. so i think after i try catching a few of those i will try for the smallies which probably wont appear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts