ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......do most of you guys use EWG hooks when rigging plastics? I used to use EWG's for all my fishing plastics (except maybe sluggos or frogs that i had frog hooks for) but recently I was shown by someone that using a straight offset shank worm hook can be more effective cuz the sinker isnt in a direct path with the hook point.

i have relatively good hookup ration on the EWG's so i'm not sure i'll switch. just wanted to get everyones opinion.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...right, i like Owner as well. obviously super sharp, but my question was more the style of hook....extra wide gap (EWG) or straight shank????

·
Registered
540 Posts
Almost always go with EWG unless I go wacky set up, then it's a 4 to 1/0 Octopus.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't like EWG hooks, I think that they flex too much and a big fish can throw them easier. I use offset straight shanks (ie Tru Turn) for 90% of my plastic rigging and I use the smallest hook that I feel that I can get away with.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Gamakatsu is my hook of choose in 2/0 or 3/0 depending on bait size in wide gap or now thr skip gap because they hold better on long cast or top water horny toads

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think I use the Gamakatsu 4/0 EWG more than any other hook, primarily on Senkos and Yum Dingers, but I do use a variety depending on if I want to rig wacky, or a straight hook for smaller worms, like the Powerbait power worms.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i use the WG eagle claw hook shaw grigbsy designed with the lock on the top

·
Registered
489 Posts
Right up my alley here, as my first love is soft plastic fishing! 8:)

This is very interesting to read how many different hooks everybody seems to use. For quite some time, I have been using Gamakatsu EWG and Superline EWG hooks on all my plastic fishing, even for my wacky rigging. I use the regular EWG when finesse fishing with spinning gear, and the Superline version when using baitcasting gear.

I like them because they are razor sharp, and relatively inexpensive.
However, I have found that sometimes, with the thickest baits, like tubes, that my texas rig hookup percentage was lower than I liked. So I switched to the Mustad Tube hooks for fishing tubes. The main difference I noticed in the two is that the Mustad Tube hook point is not exactly in line with the line tie. It made a big difference in my hook sets on tubes. Maybe that's all just mental, not realy sure, but it works for me.

I am now interested in trying out the Hooks with the clasp on top from Shaw Grigsby (eagle claw). They will be my field experiment this year, along with the Gamakasu Skip Gap Hooks. Even though I am certainly satisifed with the regular Gamakatsu's, it never hurts to try someting new.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...i think the hook point not being in line with the line tie and thus your sinker, etc is a big advantage, even with senkos.

i dont have a lot of experience texas rigging tubes for the exact reason you said. my hookup was low. now i'll fish a tube hook exposed more often. although obviously if you want to pitch a tube into the nasty you need that tip buried. in that case i'll give it a 'skin' bury.

i love fishing plastics too, and i have all types of hooks, i just thought this thread would help us all out.

i used to use the EWG for all wacky rigging too but you should give the Jackall flick shake jig head hook a try for wackying. real low profile, works great.

·
Registered
273 Posts
fishslayer said:
i used to use the EWG for all wacky rigging too but you should give the Jackall flick shake jig head hook a try for wackying. real low profile, works great.
I used that jig/hook last summer for smallmouth on my last day of my Vermilion trip, and I don't think I missed a single fish.

Only problem -- they're damned expensive. Gamakatsu has a new hook with a flat weight, going to try those as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Some of the current magazines on the newstands have articles about this flick shake thing, but I can't tell what makes a flick shake jig that different than a shakey head jig, they're just skin rigging leadheads on a wacky worm and not letting them sit on the bottom as long as far as I can tell. It looks more like technique than it does equiptment. Am I off on this?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I use the EWG Owners. I think Gamas are super sharp, but the conical points don't hold as well as the Owner spade points. I very rarely lose Bass, even on the jump. I have replaced all my Muskie trebles with Owners as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
fishslayer said:
...i think the hook point not being in line with the line tie and thus your sinker, etc is a big advantage, even with senkos.
i dont have a lot of experience texas rigging tubes for the exact reason you said. my hookup was low. now i'll fish a tube hook exposed more often. although obviously if you want to pitch a tube into the nasty you need that tip buried. in that case i'll give it a 'skin' bury.
I texas rig my tubes pretty much all the time, but that is really just a case of the types of waters I fish. Sometimes I use Carolina rigs for my tubes also, but the hook is used the same way (Tex-Posed). I have found the Mustad Ultra Point Tube hook, in 3/0 and 4/0 works well, and my hook percentage has gone up significantly. The hook point being about 1/8" or so higher than the line tie seems to make a world of difference.

I'll look into the Jackall Flick shake heads for wacky rigging. So far I have not used any wieghts for wacky rigging. Time to take that to a new level as well! Thanks for the tip.

O.F.F.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts