ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought me a Calcutta 300TE W/6'6" MH rod just over a year ago. It's a great combo for trolling or casting heavy spoons, but can't get much distance with frenzies and such. It's spooled with 10lb. XL. Thinking about trying 8'6" Med. Browning Six Rivers. How much more distance should I expect?

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Maybe none. Get a long cast spinning reel and some 6 lb fireline and a Ugly Stix Lite pro 7 footer. Least that is what I got.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with blufloyd. I have a Calcutta 300TE and tried going to a longer rod for distance on lighter cranks. I got a minimal increase in distance.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Would you use a sledge hammer on a finishing nail? Right tool for the right job. No one rod and reel covers all fishing. Heavy lures, heavy gear, light lures, light, to ultra lite gear.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
The right line for the occasion

Blu's line usage is what really counts. Don't use a heavier line than is required for the fish your after. The lighter the line the farther you will be able to cast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't have a lot of experience with this type of reel and wanted some feedback before I spent any $$$$$$$$$$. I have read and learned a lot on this site and appreciate all your contributions. I especially want to thank ffishman for his hammer analogy, according to my 8 year old son it really put my "net in the water". I guess it's his way of saying I have a lot to learn. Good fishing to all and to all a goood night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts