ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they exsist?? Are there any Illinois trout streams at all..Maybe even in the northwest part of the state in the D.A???

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ahhh !!! Someone thinking along the same lines that I do. I do know that they stock the Apple River out by Galena. They stock Piscasaw Creek up by Chemung, Il. I have heard words that there is a creek west of there and east of Rockford that has a population, but have not fished it to verify.
Sure would be nice though. Miss stream tout fishing for brookies in Mich.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you Fished Picasaw..I went on a trip in the car looking for that place but to no avail...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yep in the past. Not in the last couple of years. It'd easy to find. Just west of Harvard on 173. The little town of Chemung. There is access both to the south and the north. It's planted so I don't think anything really carrys over from year. Mostly stupid hatchery fish.. I ahve a hard time think how to present to them. Corn and the other things a hatchery fish would eat don't appeal to my nature for fishing. I have tried live bait, but the stream has such a good creek chub population you can't get past them to have a chance at a trout, if they are there. Creek chubs are very aggressive feeders all the time. I go more for the solitude and quiet around here than the fish. Hate rubbing elbow to get a chance at a hatchery fish.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Apparently there are no natural trout waters in IL though some speculate that some sneak across the border from Wisconsin occasionally.

I went around with a TU member about Illinois trout a while back arguing for a C&R season for a week or so before the "Kill" season. His response was that, since IL trout were not "wild" trout, we might as well kill them and be done with it. "Wild trout" in TU lingo means that the trout are spawned and survive from season to season in the wild. Wild trout are superior because they have evolved to a higher level of awareness. That is, they aren't easily caught.

OK, I do not get that one, since I have fished native Brook Trout in the Ont bush that were easy to catch. And, after the bait chuckers skin off the easy pickings of a stocking, there are usually some wary stocked IL trout left that require "fine and far off."

Since the favored "wild" trout is the Brown, this TU dogma gets even more puzzeling :)5 Every Brown in the US is a descendent of a stocked trout. But they are held up as the ideal. In fairness to TU I would have to say that other signals indicated that this was a very opinionated TU member.

Let's conclude. There are no wild trout in Illinois though we have some nice fish.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is there any future in a trout program for Illinois streams? LIke they have in other states where they can take a crap stream and make it good again to the point where some of the trout will hold over?? This state needs that!!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Eyegouger said:
So is there any future in a trout program for Illinois streams? LIke they have in other states where they can take a crap stream and make it good again to the point where some of the trout will hold over?? This state needs that!!!
I think with out current IL administration, there won't be any funding for a sustainable trout program. I'm not the trout expert, but I would think that trout should be able to survive in the driftless area of NW IL, since they seem to survive just over the borders of WI, IA & MN. Iowa has a fantastic trout stocking program - which is well funded by the state.

Our Gov & his administration seem to be so anti-outdoorsmen that I'm surpised the DNR even still does the stocking in the ponds.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I deal with the DNR on a number of different issues with grounds management in field trialing dogs. Their budget at the present time would not allow IDNR to undertake such a program. I think also with the amout of water available for such a program it would fall to a very low priority on the budget. I would bet there are 1/2 doz. pieces of water that would be condusive to such a program. And of the six streeams, maybe two or three have public access available. Not a strong base to start with. You know in the IDNR scheme of things if you can't drive up to it and put a handicapped parking spot in that project won't happen. Not picking on the disabled but stream trout fishing isn't for the Mall crowd.
I do have to get out in the spring and do some investigation and wander prospective locations for fish. Miss the little brookie streams of Mich. I used to fish.

·
Registered
42 Posts
"Our Gov & his administration seem to be so anti-outdoorsmen that I'm surpised the DNR even still does the stocking in the ponds."

Not just current Gov. This has been true since before Altgeld, 1892. IL has never been an outdoor state. If we had a viable stream, we would be struggling to maintain and protect it. Not likely that we could create one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sucks to hear that absolutly no one in the Illinois government cares about supporting the outdoors in this state. There are alot of great beautiful spots to fish. Like Rock Creek on the Kankakee for instance.. And I have seen trout in that stream. I know there have got to be mor streams in the northern part of this state that would hold trout. Man when will Illinois wake up!!!!!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Eyegouger said:
There are alot of great beautiful spots to fish. Like Rock Creek on the Kankakee for instance.. And I have seen trout in that stream. I know there have got to be mor streams in the northern part of this state that would hold trout. Man when will Illinois wake up!!!!!
Rock Creek seems to be a place where trout can reproduce. I was fishing with my dad in late fall and he caught a couple 4" or 5" rainbows. I know they don't stock them that small.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think we have to sound a battle cry and start a petition or start peppering the DNR with e-mails dealing with why there is no concern for the outdoors in Illinois. It be nice to see some improved fishing in this state.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sound a battle cry?? Sounds good, but you have to be organized. I was for a few years an alternate in the Conservation Congress.. Bet you don't know about that. Well what started out to be a grass routes organization swelled quickly to one where the part districts and other high prolie cumminity organizations were fighting for the tax dollars to fund their pet projects. The Outdoors men don't have a chance. When the creation of bike paths all over the state and urban sprawl agendas take a front seat to what the quiet outdoorsmen looks for...... gentlemen you are always going to loose. It ani't going to be here all the time. The old saying "You Snooze you Loose" works alot. The squeeky wheel gets all the grease. You all are quiet to much if you want to get something instituted or change you have to stand up. Or step aside because some one is going to get the dollars.

·
Registered
678 Posts
unfortunely this state as others have said is not outdoorsman friendly. I dont ever see them putting any $$ in trout streams ever. its a shame when you look at Ind. Mich. and Wis. streams. if it wasnt for them lake Mich. would be a joke!! but all is not lost, avid trout guys may turn their noses up at this..... try fly fishing for carp!! I know it sounds funny but on lake st. clair and parts of lake mich. it is fast becoming the most requested guided trip. it is a real challenge. fish alot of damsel nymphs just like you would for trout. stalk them just like trout. fight them.... well carp fight harder. and release them just like trout. if you live or fish in Ill. you got to work w/ what you have. Im a very avid carper and not ashamed to say it Joe

·
Registered
678 Posts
you said it Eye!! its really too bad isnt it. Ill has potential but the people in charge dont care about us. too much political bs being this close to Chicago I guess. Joe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah especially Illinois Politicians. I cant believe there isn't even one that would try to work something out. I mean Presidents are always going fishing all the time. Politics sucks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
[
Rock Creek seems to be a place where trout can reproduce. I was fishing with my dad in late fall and he caught a couple 4" or 5" rainbows. I know they don't stock them that small.
I believe that there are areas on Rock Creek that may stay cold enough for the entire year. However, from from talking to the IDNR fish biologist I doubt that Rock Creek is capable of supporting a year round trout population. Rock Creek does have a nice population of smallmouth bass and rock bass and catching these in the beautiful surrondings of Rock creek makes for a wonderful experience.
According to the "Fishes of Illinois" the only places where trout (brook and lake trout) occurr naturally is in Lake Michigan. Brook trout (the only native trout in the midwest) are not found on inland streams or lakes. There may have been an occasional stray from streams that are on the border in Wisconsin. Doing habitat improvement on streams that never supported a native trout population is unlikely to make it support a trout population. However, Illinois does have a good number of smaller streams that support smallmouth bass. These fish are really fun fish to catch.
If you want to catch stream trout in illlinois you can fish Rock Creek, Piscasaw Creek, Apple Canyon State Park and whatever other streams the IDNR stocks with trout during the spring season. The stockers are fun, enjoy them.
If you want to fish for native trout you are better off going to to Wisconsin, Michigan, and even Iowa.
Although I love to flyfish for trout, I think massive habitat improvement in Illinois streams so they can support trout will not work. However, the money wouldn't be wasted as I'm sure the carrying capacity of these streams to support smallmouth bass would greatly increase.
To answer your question yes there are trout streams in Illinois however, none of them support a year round trout fishery. Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah but would the DNR even improve habitat for Smallmouth bass??? By the way I do love smallmouths too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts