Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I DON'T OWN A DOG?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to how many owners had their dog(s) spayed or neutered. My dogs are for many reasons as it only improves the longevity of the animal without some complications. If you do not breed your dog, then statistics and vets have shown that it is a benefit to a dog.

This is not a lecture (like Bob Barker) to do this. A dog, cat, bird, etc. are life long commitments. Not having time is not an excuse as pets take time and money.

<------------------My 125lb American Bulldog "Dupree" (Neutered and big)

·
Registered
540 Posts
18# Bishon, Neutered, probably a snack for Dupree (If he could catch him) :-D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm getting a brittany pup in may, the pups were just born yesterday. I've waited a good long time for this and no way am I going to let some other dog mount my female if thats what I get. During the heat cycle (unless yo plan to breed) you will have to keep her locked up for 3 weeks. Take her out to the field and run the risk of another dog shacking up with her.

Also if I get a male, don't know yet have to wait to find out what everybody wants I'm not first choice, He's not going to hunt worth a @%&# if another dog is in heat in the field.

So to me it's a nobrainer to get them spayed/neutered if you are not in it for breeding.

No one should be breeding anyways unless they are bettering the breed which in almost all cases is not what is happening when backyard breeding is going on.

Just my opinion, I know accidents happen but can be avoided with a simple trip to the vet.

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
I own a Weim and if you dig back far enough in their history once there was a time when they were only sold neutered.
That is the direction we need.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have two male Shorthairs intact. Considered breeding, but have since decided against it.

They are kenneled or in the house, so they are no threat to breakouts and having a late night run-in with the neighborhood sassy's.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uplandk9 said:
I have two male Shorthairs intact. Considered breeding, but have since decided against it.

They are kenneled or in the house, so they are no threat to breakouts and having a late night run-in with the neighborhood sassy's.
At least you are keeping a good eye on them. :)2

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have a 10 week old 1/2 English Bulldog, 1/2 Beagle named Brutus. I can't get him neutered until 6 months but I will do so as soon as I can get him in to the vet at that point.

Unless you are a breeder I do not see any reason to have your dog in tact - IMO.

Neil

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I hope to breed my Chessie next spring, so wouldn't be a good idea. After that, she goes under the knife. We just had the two weeks of stinking, bleeding dog.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 85# White american shepherd is way too pretty to be walking around intact.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My pitbull IS
German shepard mix IS
Chocolate Lab is not, I was going to breed him but never did, now he is 11 and still in good health so I'll let him keep his man hood

·
Registered
403 Posts
I own Brittany's Males both intact. I have bred in the past. I compete with them and they know their Peas & "Q"'s about how to act. But if they smell a Bitch in season they get stupid. Hormones kick in.
Seuss 79 where are you getting your Brit from? Mike and I could have given you some direction in that vane.
Bitches in season can be interesting.
One other note to add as one stated about all being neutered. If that happens it's real hard to get a new pup from a fix animal. JMO
You do watched the females during the heat cycle.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have had 3 dogs in my adult life

My siberian huskie and jack rusell wer fixed, both males. they both were inside dogs. we had to put the huskie down about 5 years ago and had to get rid of the jack russell because my oldest (only at the time) daughter became allergic. I would not put my daughter on medication just so I can have a dog, sorry if that bothers anyone. The russell went back to my buddy who I got him from and he lives on his farm.

My other dog was a english pointer and she lived outside 24/7. she was not fixed, I always wanted to breed her but it never happened. Two years ago I got rid of her, you may have seen my posts on this very website about giving her away. Talk to Jamie at On-Point to see how she is doing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I own 3 shorthairs 2 females in tact one neutered male and right now I've got another intact male in the house and have no problem with keeping bitches in season away from the intact dogs .. Girls are kept in crate when boys are out and boys are in crates while girls are out.

heres some information for people to read on the long term effects of spay and neutering

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTerm ... InDogs.pdf

I'm not against it but feel it should not be done till a dog is fully mature

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
I'm a bit hesitant in participating in this poll since its biased.

My Kitties feel left out. :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
One fish stealin' 115 lb. lab! All the OEM parts. Bred him a few times, so if you have a lab that takes fish out of the livewell bucket ect. He may be in his bloodline. Im thinking about using him to win the IWT. "Look at that good lookin dog. HEY that little #[email protected]*!^ just took my four pound sauger!"
[/img]

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
One black/white Siberian Husky, "Harley" -neutered.

All of my dogs have always been either neutered or spayed.

Had to put down my red with blue eyes Siberian "Thor" two winters ago.
Old age, athritis and muscle atrophy :(

Previously, Alaskan Malamutes. Male and female.
Both fixed.

Wife has SEVEN cats :eek: :x
All fixed.

Their long-term health is better that way.
Especially bitches.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
1 male Pitbull, neutered
7 cats - all spayed / neutered

And let me say that I was crushed when MaGee was netuered. Let's just say he drew a LOT of attention! :eek:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts