ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot about IG on the boards,so I thought I would check it out. Drove up to gate house and was asked for the non-lake county "parking" fee of $10. Was not planning to fish and the guard was nice enough to let me drive in to look around. If the fishing is anything like the overall appearance of this place, then this should be a winner. I have a few questions for anyone experienced in fishing IG - There is a lot of water here....any tips on locations/ponds etc.??? Also, if you walk in,do you still have to pay the $10? The sign inidcates that it is a "parking fee" rather than a usage fee.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't know about the fee since I'm a resident. Last summer the fishing there was great until late Oct, early Nov when the weeds died down. So far this spring has been slow for me except for that spell of warm weather the other week... caught a couple nice bass. From the other fishermen I've talked to on the banks everyone has had slim pickings so far.

The lake is catch and release only so they should still be in there.

The guard at the gate will give you a lake map with depths marked and the locations of several fish cribs they installed. Generally the cribs are reachable only by boat which MUST be rented on the site.
Once the weeds grow up and the water warms, if it is like last summer, bluegill and largemouth move into the weeds along the banks. Two of us caught over 60 fish in two hours last summer on our first day there... using flyrods with both topwater lures and streamer flies. Plenty of big largemouth among the 'gills. Got a few walleye from the banks also. I watched a guy catch a Muskie that he said measured 32" from a boat.

They open at 6:30 and close at sunset. I have requested them to consider longer hours so we can fish that hot half hour of low light before sunrise and after sunset. In effect they told me to keep fishing until someone makes me leave in the afternoon but can't drive in in the morning. You can park in the housing development across the street and walk in anytime and I don't think they'll charge you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When you fish from the shore, watch out for the geofabrics around the shore and under the ripraps--they will snag your lures. Someone must have dropped a lot of "Christmas Trees" in the past becuase you would likely get snagged if you stay too close to the bottom--best fishing the surface or using a float. At least this is true where I like to fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.