ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fishermen. I'm new to computers and fairly new to fishing, so please bear with me. I live in Cherry Valley and intend to spend a lot of time wading after smallmouths this summer (spring if Mama Nature would cooperate). I have a million questions, so I'll start with two basic ones, both pro/con type.

1. What's wrong with snap swivels? I like to change lures a lot (probably too often) and and I love those little gizmos, but everything I read says to avoid them like Bill avoids Hillary.

2. Will I be laughed off the river if I use a close faced spinning reel? I'm using an open faced Quantum right now, but I'm tempted to go back to the old Johnson closed face that I'm much more comfortable and accurate with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome to the board sluggo. The Kish is a beautiful river that offers some quality smallmouth bass fishing. To answer your 1st question, I use snap swivels sometimes. They work fine with some lures but ruin the action on others. The major advantage is the ability to change lures quickly. I use fireline and the knot I use makes it difficult to tie on larger lures. I get around this by tying on a swivel. They also have provided just enough leader to keep pike from biting me off. The swivels are fine with spinnerbaits, crankbaits, in-line spinners, and topwaters. They ruin the action on jigs or any livebait rigs that you use. I also don't like to use them in clear water situations. I wouldn't worry about the push button reel. If your wading the river, you probably won't run into too mant people. Anyway fishing is about getting out and enjoying the outdoors, its not a fashion show. Using the push button you won't have to worry about too many guys bugging you for fishing tips. Good luck this spring and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
268 Posts
sluggo

The general rule of thumb is to use as little terminal tackle as possible. Remember, also, that rules were meant to be broken.

Rapala (the lure-making Swedes, as opposed to the CLF member) recommends that no swivels be used on their lures. Instead, they recommend their very own Rapala knot.

There are four basic knots listed under KNOTS at the top of this page. Knots are knot difficult to tie if you've practiced them.

PaulT
Using the push button you won't have to worry about too many guys bugging you for fishing tips
Stop it, I almost peed my pants. Of course, you're 100% correct about that. I prefer using what works for me. If "they" want to buy me a rod and reel, I'll gladly use it.

The reel only holds the line, period. I have an Abu 170 that I've owned for 40 years and it's my first choice for Texas rigged worms.

G

·
Sluggo,welcome to the Rock/Kish b-board,Something Paul didnt mention was that over the winter both he and i have brought a very cool fishing group to Rockford.This group is the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance.
I joined this Kankakee based group about a year ago,but had found it was hard to make a lot of their outings being they were so far away.So what i did do is started holding outings for people in our area with the Kishwaukee River as our home water.What we also do besides outings,are cleanups,we try to get d.n.r.C&R signs posted,and we also are working at this time on a four year stocking program of smallmouth bass(waiting for dnr approval).We will probably visit other streams throught northern Illinois as well over the summer if time allows.
We do get out together on weekends,this last Saturday morning four of us went to a rock river tributary and i think we did rather well for the conditions,light rain wind was starting to pickup,and not very warm but for 4 guys we managed 25 smallies in a few hours with Paul T catching 12 of them.
To get to the point there is a pretty good group of guys from our area that really enjoy to get out and wade and fish smallies together.I live close to C.V.off of bell school road and i usually fish at least twice a week if not more,what i will suggest to you is join us for a day. With the group we have now theres so much information going around that its hard to absorb all of it sometimes.
We dont all own fancy bass boats,we dont have real trendy gear,but we do all love smallmouth fishing,and being as that the Kish is rated 3rd best in the state id say we have it good.
As far as your questions on what gear you should use or not use it's up to you! Who cares what others think! As paul said its not a fashion show out there,hell i throw some of biggest lures a guy could throw.Sometimes they work great other times they dont work at all,and i learn from that. This last weekend trip i used the same lure i had used 3 days earlier but Saturday the bass didnt want it,Paul was using small spinnerbaits and cleaning up.By the time we got back to the parking lot we all had the same lures tied on.
Why,because thats what was catching fish that day,had i realized this a little sooner i may have had more than just 2 for the day.
If you would like to see the scheduled events for the summer go to http://www.illinoissmallmouthalliance.com and click on the social activities page from there click on upcoming events and it will give you a list of away and local fishing days that we have planned.
You DO NOT have to be a member to fish any of these days every one is welcome,we may encourage you to join sometime down the line but no you dont have to if you dont want.
What we assume is that you will probably join after spending a day fishing with us,we have a blast together,and we help serve the fisheries we love and thats what attracts a lot of our members. We keep or membership fee low so that everyone dosent feel a big financial burden to belong which a lot of clubs do_Our yearly membership is 25$ which is what you would pay for a fishing magazine subscription,that magazine will give you some good fishing info but nothing about your home waters that you fish everyday. Thats where we differ we share our info,if we had a good day in a certain area on a certain lure,we usually share that info or take you with us the next time out.
so if you would like to get out and try fishing with other people let us know. A year ago i didnt know anybody from our area,now i know lots of good fishermen. Kevin Dells

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.